Greetings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roger shoaf

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
I am new here so I thought I would check in.

I really love good food, and especially like to be able to make really tasty things.

I have in the past built a coffee roaster in a salvaged gas grill (a curb find.)

I have a friend that has a nice smoker set up and he made some great meat.  I find I have some time on my hands now so in stumbling on I find that this looks like a worthwhile way to spend my time.

I would like to build several things:

A chamber vacuum sealer

A sous vide water bath capable of tight control.

A smoker. My thoughts on a smoker tend to be going in the direction of making a box that the variables are controlled and automatic.  I want to get the appliance to give me what I want without having to sit around all day stoking a fire box.  My suspicion is that most systems out there now waste a lot of energy and create a lot of smoke that doesn't improve the food.  I want to explore this realm.

I would like to understand things more. for example how would you quantify smoke?

Would putting the smoke under pressure be an effective way to infuse the nice smoky taste into the meat?

I am dissatisfied with the bacon I get at the store.  I used to get some nice dry cured stuff that was pretty good and now I don't see it. I want to make my own.

I love a good tasty hot dog.  It is getting really tough these days to find one that is in a natural casing, is made without some slimy chicken goo and who knows what else.  I want to make some good ones.  I want to play with the food.  I want to bite down on succulence.

OK that generally gives you an idea of why I am here.

See you on the forums.

:welcome1: to SMF Roger! Glad you joined us. You will find a wealth of information here to help with your builds.

Would you please update your profile and tell us where you are located? That information could help the guys give you input on what will work in your area...with your projects.

Have you signed up for Jeff's E-Course yet? Tons of great info there. Here is a link to get you started.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/127/5-day-smoking-basics-ecourse

Again....glad you have joined us! Any questions just holler!

welcome1.gif

You have some work ahead of you it sounds like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky