greetings from Ontario Canada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigguy1

Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Hello everyone. This site looks great and there seems to be alot of great info here for a newbie like myself. I just got a deluxe charcoal grill for christmas and am going to try and smoke a turkey this weekend. I have never tried smoking anything before and am looking forward to learning and sampling the results.

hello hello ,
im glad to meet you....

this is a great place to learn...

remember
grilling takes minutes---
hot smoking takes hours...

be patient...

Welcome to SMF bigguy1. Take some time to read up on your first project and ask any questions. There's lots of help here. Give TulsaJeff's 5-day eCourse a shot and it's free to boot.

Good Luck, looking foward to seeing your posts. When you do the turkey, get some pics to share your maiden voyage.

Keep Smokin

Thanks for warm welcome. I have already learned alot reading in the poultry section.

Well I made my turkey yesterday and I must say it turned out pretty good for a first timer. I used a brine recipe that I got off of this site (seen it several times so figured it must be good...It was) I had to cut up the turkey as it was too big to fit into the smoker. I used some dried kindling I purchased for my outside fire pit to get the fire started and then added charcoal. I added hickory wood chips aprox every hour. Smoked it for aprox 7.5 hours and the results were pretty good.

My biggest problem was keeping the temp at around 250 with the charcoal. This could be due to the dampener on the fire box not staying open on it's own as the fire got hot. Must be the metal expanding as it got hot, because it worked fine before the fire. I am going to get some cappicolas from work and try smoking them the next time I have a free weekend and provided the weather stays nice. Thanks for this great forum I have been a member for a few days and have already learned a alot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky