greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by bigguy1, Jan 5, 2007.

1. bigguy1

bigguy1 Newbie

Hello everyone. This site looks great and there seems to be alot of great info here for a newbie like myself. I just got a deluxe charcoal grill for christmas and am going to try and smoke a turkey this weekend. I have never tried smoking anything before and am looking forward to learning and sampling the results.

2. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

hello hello ,
    im glad to meet you....

this is a great place to learn...

remember
    grilling takes minutes---
    hot smoking takes hours...

be patient...

3. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF bigguy1. Take some time to read up on your first project and ask any questions. There's lots of help here. Give TulsaJeff's 5-day eCourse a shot and it's free to boot.

Good Luck, looking foward to seeing your posts. When you do the turkey, get some pics to share your maiden voyage.

Keep Smokin

4. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

Welcome to SMF bigguy1!!! Be sure and let us know how the turkey comes out.

5. msmith

msmith Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome bigguy1

6. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Glad to see you made it here.

Let us know how the turkey turned out and remember we love pictures.

7. Welcome to SMF. This is most certainly the right place for that.

8. bigguy1

bigguy1 Newbie

Thanks for warm welcome. I have already learned alot reading in the poultry section.

9. bigguy1

bigguy1 Newbie

Well I made my turkey yesterday and I must say it turned out pretty good for a first timer. I used a brine recipe that I got off of this site (seen it several times so figured it must be good...It was) I had to cut up the turkey as it was too big to fit into the smoker. I used some dried kindling I purchased for my outside fire pit to get the fire started and then added charcoal. I added hickory wood chips aprox every hour. Smoked it for aprox 7.5 hours and the results were pretty good.

My biggest problem was keeping the temp at around 250 with the charcoal. This could be due to the dampener on the fire box not staying open on it's own as the fire got hot. Must be the metal expanding as it got hot, because it worked fine before the fire. I am going to get some cappicolas from work and try smoking them the next time I have a free weekend and provided the weather stays nice. Thanks for this great forum I have been a member for a few days and have already learned a alot.