Greetings from oneshot....Traeger Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oneshot

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2009
West of Chicago
I'm oneshot from Il. and have been using a Traeger smoker for about 2 yrs.
Is there a forum or threads here about people using Traeger smokers????
If not, maybe the staff could start a forum for this type of smoker.

Here's some pics of my smoker and a pork roast I've done. The flavor was fantastic using cherry....

icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Welcome to the forum. There are a few folks here who use the Traeger, but probably not enough to justify a separate forum. Sure looks like you know how to do a pork roast though!
biggrin.gif

Great looking pork! Why not start a thread yourself on the Traeger Smoker; what's it's source of heat? Just pick the forum that applies and let us all know what great features it has!

Welcome to SMF, also, look forward to seeing lots of Qview on all your smokes, and don't hesitate to ask any questions, we love to ramble on and on! lol!

Pops §§

Welcome aboard! Glad to see another pellethead here, seeing more and more of us around. That loin looks great.

Welcome OneShot!!!

I do have a Traeger question so lets just leave it here....

I am looking at a Lil' Tex hoping to get before the 4th, by question is about the different digital control's...

It comes with a generic Low,Med,High control and you can buy the nice digital controls. the standard one starts at 225 deg-400 degs. i have also found a website that is now offering a 180-400 deg controller.

How about input on how often would you use the lower temp and is it worth the extra price..

Jim

I've had first hand experience with all 3 and would strongly recommend the factory 225 unit over the other two. I tried a "180" but had a defective unit and sent it back...very long story short--use the tried and true 225. Nothing wrong with the 3 position switch but it is just a little harder to manage your temps. I always found myself trying to adjust the lid just a little bit to let heat out at times and other times I was trying to decide how to increase my temps by a small amount. Probably good'nuf for government work as they say but...

Thanks for joining us at the SMF.Thanks for the Q View my friend.

Hi Jim. Stay with the digital Traeger sells. It has a setting for "smoke" which is a lower temp. and then you can go up, 225-450. This has worked great for me and allows you control of what temp. you want.

I have the Lil Tex and it handles everything I through in it. Get it, I'm sure you will love it like I love mine!!!!!
icon_lol.gif

More from onshot's Traeger smoker.

A prime rib (boneless).

Used Traegers prime rib rub all over roast.

Into the smoker it goes. (Remember, fat side up)
Using cherry and set on smoke for 2 1/2 hours. Then raised temp. to 350 until cooked to rare. Take off and let it rest. (It was tired)
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Finished results.......

The cherry really gave great flavor to the roast. Everyone loved it!!!!

I also tried smoking a Canada goose but it didn't work out very well.
Everytime I lit it, it jumped back into the water and went out!!!!!! LOL

Jim get the traeger unit. I have friends here that tried to save a few bucks and bought the aftermarket thermostat, didn't work so well for them the ones with the traeger units seemed happy with them. I use the country smoker pellet feeders and they have a variable pellet speed stock but I have ordered the thermostaticly controlled board for my big smoker. Get the pellet hopper extension right away and enjoy. I know the wood fired pit guys call us lazy but I have enough irons in the fire already without having to spend hours tending fire ( I would love to but that wouldn't get the hay baled or the beans planted) while I smoke supper or make jerky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky