Greetings from MO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thferret

Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Columbia, MO
Hello! I'm new to the forum, but not really to smoking. I've used several different rigs over the years. None to much success, with the exception of my cardboard box smoker based on Alton Brown's design.

The only commercial smoker I ever used was a Wood Hollow electric smoker that, well, to be blunt ... sucks. It cannot maintain temp. It jumps from 80 to over 300 without any involvement from me. It currently rusts on my back patio probably destined for a garage sale or Freecycle. I used it to heat up the Easter ham one year and that's about it. Over the past few years I figured out ways to use my propane grill with the lid propped open and the tank on real low which works somewhat well.

That brings me to now. I finally found an affordable 55 gal drum locally to build my UDS!!!! I was introduced to the UDS by the Popular Mechanics article. The problem was I didn't research it enough and ended up with the dreaded red epoxy lining. I'm finding it's not as difficult to remove as I have read. A 60 grit sanding wheel on my angle grinder is working nicely, however tedious. Once I finish getting it down to bare metal I'll be ready for seasoning and then the build. So I am looking for all the great advice that your forums offer and updating you all on my build.

I go by ThFerret, Ferret, TF or my real name, Dean and I reside in central Missouri.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   .........  I think there was a double 55 gal build just posted to the site, I know I have seen some before
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hello Dean...welcome!  You'll find that this is a great place to share ideas on smoking, grilling, etc.  There are plenty of folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.  Good luck with your UDS build!

Red

Welcome to the forum! In no time at all you will find this place to be your go to place for making great foods your friends and family will love. The search tool at the top of the page will be your new best friend.

Dean
welcome1.gif

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

You are going to love your UDS.

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky