greetings from Kansas City (Lee's Summit)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jackpot

Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Hello all,

Just bought a GMG Daniel Boone a few weeks ago, was poking around online and found a little grilling shop a few blocks from where I work, they carried Louisiana and GMG pellet smokers, (many other large comp. stuff as well) ended up with a GMG a few days later!!

I do HVAC so with the heat Ive been swamped and have hardly had time to play with my new toy, completely new to smoking but my first attempt at a whole chicken came out great!!!!

brined overnight in salt and redwine, then injected the same mixture into the chicken, and smoked it on a beer can rack for 3.5 hours........ a little salty but some of the best chicken I've had!!! super moist.... I picked up a pork butt and will be trying that as soon as I get some free time!!!

Jack

Hello Jack, welcome to you.

Glad you decided to hang out with us.

You seem pretty happy with your chicken smoke.

Well, it only gets better from here.

What recipe did you use for your brine?

Some brine recipes are meant to be used for a short time

others are for longer times.

Could have caused your salt problem.

Have fun.

Ed

just some coarse kosher and some red wine the Mrs. didn't like.. I should have measured it out. I have some Habenero wine I'm gonna try next time (lots of wine at my house) with less salt and a rub before I smoke

It had a nice salty crust cooked on the outside, I liked but I like salty, I am still in the process of getting my spice rack bulked up. the KC farmers market has a great selection at $1-2 per scoop so I'll be set up soon. just have to find a good place to buy bulk paprika, seems its a staple in most recipes I've seen

Thanks for the advice, still reading up and sorting it all out!!!

Cheers 

welcome1.gif

Glad to have you aboard!

Al

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a beautiful hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky