Greetings from Canada!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mtbeer

Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Hello all from Ontario, Canada!!,

I just received a Char-Broil H2O charcoal smoker from my wife and little girl for my birthday.

Until now my only experience with smoking has been throwing a few chips on my gas grill while slow cooking with indirect heat. (with quite good results I might add)
My first attempt with with the water smoker was with back ribs on the weekend and it wasn't too bad but I want to do better and that has led me here. I think I had way too much smoke going and I left them on a little long. There's a lot of great information here and it's gonna take some time to absorb it all but I'm looking forward to the learning process.

Gonna start making mods tonight and try the 3-2-1 method next weekend.

Couple of questions to start off.

1) I have noticed that many people frown on using previously frozen meat. What are the problems and issues with doing this? All of my venison is frozen and I usually buy ribs on sale and freeze them. Is this a big deal?

2) I have cooked many whole chickens with indirect heat on the grill (and I sometimes through a few wood chips on. I use a process where by I start off with very high heat and then drop it down to get a nice crispy skin. Will the skin get crispy in a vertical water smoker?

Thanks in advance. I think I'm gonna like this game.

MTBeer

MT Beer -

Fresh is always best but frozen is still good just make sure it's totally thawed first. Many of uf shop sales and freeze the meat - it's no big deal.

The skin on you chicken will crisp up if you turn up the heat a bit at the end or lower it closer to the coals. You might want to try a nice brine on you chicken makes em really juicy and good. I tend to let the water cook out toward the end to that helps. Leave the pan in but don't add any more water in it.

Good Luck!

Greetings fellow Ontarian ... and welcome to SMF MTbeer ... let me get you a refill!
smile.gif

I agree with what Debi said.

I also have that model smoker converted to propane and my favorite way to do chicken is to do beer butt chicken with apple or pecan at about 300º F ... takes about an hour and a half.

What part of Ontario do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips. I think I'll try a chicken on Sunday. I try an post some pics and let you know how it turned out.

Squeezy, I live just south of London.

Small world! We used to live there, Princess St. behind the police station.

Since we're sharing the same weather systems, Have you tried smoking in the winter around here? How difficult is it? Any tips?

MTBeer

i have smoked many times in the northern ontario winter climate...

with your smoker you are going to have to either insulate it or make a windbreak of sorts for it... what i would do is build a small shed that is a little bigger than your Char-Broil, insulate the shed. then you have taken care of the windbreak and insulation all at once

Wow! ... I know where that is! I live on Huron, north of Devonshire near Pittock.

Ah! ... winter ... first of all I hate it ... period ... however, you know, you just have to make your plans, hope for good weather, or be so damned flexible to just take advantage of the 'better' weather as it arrives!
There is nothing other than a storm, to keep us from trying. We have thermometers and our own God given sense to make it work ... may take longer and use more fuel to succeed ... Let's do it!

I feel better now!
icon_redface.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky