Greetings / Compressor Tank Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks!

One thing I forgot to ask.  Does anyone have any first hand experience dealing with these air compressor tanks?  I'm trying to source some steel plugs to nicely plug some holes.  First one in on the right-hand side of the door...I measure it to be 2 3/16" inside diameter, and the second is on the bottom 1 3/4" inside diameter.  Maybe I'm over-thinking it...and should just cut a piece of steel and weld over it...but I'd like to at least try finding plugs first...just to give me options down the road.

So perhaps my issues a "nominal" size thing...I've googled the heck out of it...but I can't find any supplier that has a 2 and 3/16 inch plug....so perhaps that's really just a "2"

You're right...probably best to walk into somewhere local and ask someone....

Hey folks...aka Kam ;) ....didn't have much time this weekend to do anything, however I did manage to free two corners of my door.  I used a 4" cut off wheel to cut the entire lengths of the top and bottom cuts a week so ago.  Then on the left and right sides, I cut about 4 inches down/up from the completed tops/bottoms.  Leaving around 6 inches in the middle of the left and right sides still intact.

So yesterday I grab a little hand jig saw and cut two of the corners.  BONK...moved ever so slightly on the left and DINK a little less on the right.  By ever so slightly...we're talking at or less than an 1/8th of an inch.

My plan now is to stitch weld on the seal and then hinges to the top.  Then the seal to the bottom.  Finish cutting the sides and then finish up the seals.

Any reason I should be concerned with that 1/8th in movement?  Is that something you all just grab a hammer or 5lb sledge and just beat into submission?

Thank you as always and have a happy 4th!

We're almost at the same stage on our builds. I was going to ask a very similar question. I will still ask it in my thread but will be watching yours closely.

I would cut the door out and deal with any tweaking on my welding table. If you have to get rough with the door the hinges may get damaged.

May I ask what kind of options there are for tweaking?  I knew that the door was going to be my largest gamble in this whole adventure.  I don't have many metal-working tools (not even a torch), so I see it as if the door springs on me too much...the tank takes a ride with me to the recycler and I go cry in my beer.

That said...if I go ahead and cut the door completely and things go well what's the best way to re-install it?  I'm just brainstorming as I type this...but I would position the tank so the center of the door opening is at 12:00.  Then tack on four supports on the INSIDE of the tank overlapping into the door way.  Rest the loose door on the supports.  User old cutoff disks as spacers around the door.  Weld on seals/hinges.

Most of the times I do not apply heat to tanks for repairs as it sometimes does more damage than good. A door sprung out can be pulled back in with a bottle jack and chain also big hammer.
I sent you a P. M. My process is long you can call me or when I get time this evening I will type it out for you. :)

Hmmm...I'll have to find where the PMs are in forum software cause it's not jumping out on me....but don't worry about typing it out...I found a post that looks like you on a different site...makes complete sense.

Thanks again!

Does my thought process for installing the door/seals make sense after the fact?

FWIW...   Using PM's deprives the other members of a learning opportunity...   Also deprives the recipient of the wealth of knowledge this forums members have to offer... 

FWIW...   Using PM's deprives the other members of a learning opportunity...   Also deprives the recipient of the wealth of knowledge this forums members have to offer... 
The P.M. was my phone number Dave. Often times it is a lot easier for me to explain a process I do over a conversation. It also affords the recipient a way to reach me on the fly much like my email. I understand what you are saying and I rarely use them to post ideas or procedures but sometimes it works. I am not trying to be secretive it was just a way for me to offer help sometimes.

While we are on this subject can I post links from the ring here? Most of my ideas are archived there but out of respect to this forum I have not done it.

Reactions: brnhornt
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky