Greetings / Compressor Tank Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
More progress.  

Plenum getting fabricated up:

Done...and stack welded on...

Got the deflector plate fab'd and installed and the tuning plate rails installed.....but then ran out of daylight to cut out the tuning plates.  Oh well...it was FINALLY time to light a fire.  Just some testing to make sure she was going to flow ok:

Now I just need to finish the tuning plates, lid handles, firebox-damper handles, and consider adding a quick shelf to the front.  After that it's just a matter of sending her off for blasting and paint and then on to seasoning and actually cooking! :)

Thanks!  Yes...anxious for sure.  Was happy to be burning wood...but you would know the feeling for sure...I'm ready to burn some meat! :)

She flowed well...a little concern for the amount of wood I was chewing up...but that is 99% due to my error rather than anything with the "whale."  Just going to take a couple of cooks to find the ideal process for it...

That sounds about right to me. Did you start with charcoal or just straight wood? I start mine with a chimney or two of lit charcoal then add splits every 30-45 min. And I'll add a lit chimney every couple hours to replenish the coal base.

Kyle

Hey gang....quick question...is there a consensus out there on the best flat-black paint to use on cookers?  I know nothing is going to last forever...but looking for suggestions on which paint to use to cap off this build.

Thanks!

Kevin

I've seen Sheffield Pot Belly Black is a good one. The web site says its heat resistant to 1000 degrees. Should be good for the Arizona sun!  I was going to order some for mine but my budget made me go with Rustoleum just to get it protected. I want to sand blast and have it powder coated one day.

Nice looking smoker by the way!

Last edited:
Getting real close to calling this 100% done.

Handles made, therms installed, and a shelf added:

Quick and ugly shot of the tuning plates:

Shot from last night before lighting her up for a final seasoning smoke of chicken thighs and legs:

Few small tweaks that I need to make...but I'm hoping to paint tomorrow night and be ready for a full load of ribs this Sunday!

Welp...this is going to serve as a wrap up to this thread.  Thanks to all who followed along and gave great advice and help!

Fire getting started:

Ribs loaded up:

Coming along:

Right where they belong...on my plate and then in mah belly!

Really enjoyed the process....already kicking around the idea of building a bigger beast ;)

The best material for it is high speed steel. Maybe the tools can choose which is made of m2 steel. If you can get that product, just contact steel supply comany to make it, just tell it what you need and requirtments.

"Expanded Metal" thank you for that!

I was thinking about casters originally...but do they make some large enough? This puppy won't be sitting on smooth concrete all it's life and the ability to move this thru a grassy yard is required, so I was thinking of something along the lines of just 2 12" tires. Leaving the front legs touch the ground. To move, lift and pull. That's assuming it's not too heavy to lift.
A three wheeler would be nice swivel ft wheel ....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky