Gravity 800 temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
Hi all,
I've done two cooks on my gravity 800 smoker so far.
Have any other owners of an gravity had temperature differences of up to 40 degrees from the set temp. I placed 2 probes from my Thermopro TP20 in 2 different spots in the chamber and was surprised by the results. Masterbuilt says it is normal to have 5-20 degrees of variance.
I'm getting more than that.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• 20211120_123719.jpg
    20211120_123719.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20211120_123707.jpg
    20211120_123707.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 71
Screenshot_20211129-173954_Cloud.jpg
This is a biscuit / temp check from Anderson's smokeshow on his 560. I don't have enough probes to do a check that way without it taking all day on my 1050. I usually just checked in the middle on the bottom great and it is pretty close to the set temperature.

Reactions: hooked on smoke
Yep he's a gentleman and a scholar !

Where were your probes placed ? Did they match up to the temps on the pic ?

I had probes in all 4 corners of the cook chamber. The probes in the front and rear closest to the firebox are the hotter readings. I would expect them to be hotter.
40 degrees over the set temp though, that seems like a lot.
Well Masterbuilt has created a support case ticket and is supposed to get back to me. We shall see what transpires.
Thanks for chiming in.

Reactions: 912smoker
Hi all,
I've done two cooks on my gravity 800 smoker so far.
Have any other owners of an gravity had temperature differences of up to 40 degrees from the set temp. I placed 2 probes from my Thermopro TP20 in 2 different spots in the chamber and was surprised by the results. Masterbuilt says it is normal to have 5-20 degrees of variance.
I'm getting more than that.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
I have an 800, and have seen that the lower rack near the firebox is usually significantly hotter than the set temp. The difference is greatest in the first hour or so, but it gets smaller over time.

However, since I'm usually only cooking for two, I usually cook with the meat on the middle rack with a water/drip pan under it. This puts temps at the meat much closer to the set point, or at least consistent so that I can adjust the set point to get what I want.

If I'm getting close to a full smoker, I'll put a water pan on the right side of the bottom rack. It helps to even out the temps in the rest of the smoker, but I still will often rotate the meat for even cooking.

LSS has a water pan mod that sits on the manifold right next to the firebox, under the right side of the bottom grate. It's not very big, but probably helps moderate the hot spot on the right side. I don't have one, but might give it a try next Spring.

I had probes in all 4 corners of the cook chamber. The probes in the front and rear closest to the firebox are the hotter readings. I would expect them to be hotter.
40 degrees over the set temp though, that seems like a lot.
Well Masterbuilt has created a support case ticket and is supposed to get back to me. We shall see what transpires.
Thanks for chiming in.
I'll be interested in hearing what Masterbuilt has to say about it.

I have an 800, and have seen that the lower rack near the firebox is usually significantly hotter than the set temp. The difference is greatest in the first hour or so, but it gets smaller over time.

However, since I'm usually only cooking for two, I usually cook with the meat on the middle rack with a water/drip pan under it. This puts temps at the meat much closer to the set point, or at least consistent so that I can adjust the set point to get what I want.

If I'm getting close to a full smoker, I'll put a water pan on the right side of the bottom rack. It helps to even out the temps in the rest of the smoker, but I still will often rotate the meat for even cooking.

LSS has a water pan mod that sits on the manifold right next to the firebox, under the right side of the bottom grate. It's not very big, but probably helps moderate the hot spot on the right side. I don't have one, but might give it a try next Spring.
Thanks . Good info to work with. It is greatly appreciated BBQ Bird.
I actually bought and installed the LSS Elite package. The water pan does line up next to the firebox. When I peeked inside during last weekends rib cook the water was boiling. Not sure if that's a good thing. ?

Best regards.

I'll be interested in hearing what Masterbuilt has to say about it.
Well I got my replies from Masterbuilt. The first message states that temp variances of 5-25 are normal. When I questioned why mine is up to 40 above the set temp here is their response,

Subject: temp variance

Thank you for that information. Could you ensure that the temperature probe is clean and clear of any and all debris?
Best Regards,
Customer Support

Have you had any other responses from their support or any other interactions with them? I’m consider a 800 model and curious how their support is given the smoker only has a 1 year warranty?

I am curious how long into your cook you measured these differences? There is definitely a hot spot near the firebox as others have noted but I've found things to be pretty even over the long haul. If you are taking these readings at the beginning of a cook or are frequently opening/closing the lid that might throw you off.

If you are certain none of the above are issues check to make sure the manifold is set in the correct position. When you slide it over the bolts on the bar on the left side of the cooker it will set firmly into place. You'll feel it as you won't get any lateral movement. That is the only thing I can think of other than the above.

Reactions: 912smoker
I am curious how long into your cook you measured these differences? There is definitely a hot spot near the firebox as others have noted but I've found things to be pretty even over the long haul. If you are taking these readings at the beginning of a cook or are frequently opening/closing the lid that might throw you off.

If you are certain none of the above are issues check to make sure the manifold is set in the correct position. When you slide it over the bolts on the bar on the left side of the cooker it will set firmly into place. You'll feel it as you won't get any lateral movement. That is the only thing I can think of other than the above.
I had the probes in throughout a pork back ribs cook. About 5 hours. Only opened the lid 4 times to pull and wrap, then return them, pull and unwrap then return.
The manifold appears to be installed correctly. I guess it just something I'll have to deal with. Thank you for your reply.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky