Grassy's outdoor cooking - Smoker. Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

agrasyuk

Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
Chicagoland
Hello Board.
wanted to share my experience of building my outdoor cooking area. aside of the Smoker I also built Grill and Pizza oven. While all 3 cooking stations are already functional this is still WIP. as you can see plenty of work remains on finishing, rain cover, flooring, furniture and such.

2v2JW5D4WxUHnUD.jpg

Smoker itself

2v2JW5DB5xUHnUD.jpg

ADD:
You are working too hard.
you are probably right, but i just couldn't help it :)
------------------
started with a foundation two years ago. given the soil is almost pure clay and the structure is quite big I dug all the way 4 feet deep to prevent any frost heave

2v2JGBPANxUHnUD.jpg

used CMUs for footing (on compacted gravel down below), topped with crushed concrete and poured foundation slab

2v2JGBDPzxUHnUD.jpg

2v2JGBBw9xUHnUD.jpg

spring 2017, outlined and installed compartments for the cooking stations, started on brick facia (first bricks i ever laid in my life), poured grill supporting slab and countertop. Smoker will be on the left.

2v2JGBApyxUHnUD.jpg

Last edited:
started on the smoker itself two months back.

beginning - firebox

2v2JGB1SyxUHnUD.jpg

Slowly building up. canibalized the bottom air intake door and fuel door from my and my dad's rusting 8 year old grills

2v2JSneuixUHnUD.jpg

welded main door. since last time i welded was high school it took quite some grinding to clean up the ugly seams, but it will hold

2v2JGB1ijxUHnUD.jpg

but cleaned and painted it does not look too bad.

2v2JGB14MxUHnUD.jpg

ADD:
Internal structure is somewhat visible. lips in brickwork hold the shelving.

2v2JGt9KLxUHnUD.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you did a really nice job on that. Enjoy it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky