got my WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Upstate new york
 got my baby today. Man what a well built smoker love it
icon_lol.gif
603440cb_mail.google.com.jpg

Going to season it Friday and do a prime rib on Saturday if the snow holds off i will do a QView if  all works out
icon_smile.gif

I also got the guru DigiQ DX to go with it can't wait to try this out.

Last edited:
 got my baby today. Man what a well built smoker love it
icon_lol.gif
603440cb_mail.google.com.jpg

Going to season it Friday and do a prime rib on Saturday if the snow holds off i will do a QView if  all works out
icon_smile.gif
Grats! Nice shiny new toy!

One side note... you don't have to season a WSM, they are ready to go right out of the box. Seasoning is for smokers made with exposed steel and/or iron, the seasoning coats it and protects it. Since the WSM are all enameled and chromed racks you are good to go!
biggrin.gif

But if you want to do a test burn to get a feel for temp. control then go for it, never hurts to get a feel for a new smoker before putting the meat on it. Just make sure to catch the temps on the way up, because once they get away from you it will take a looooong time before you can get them to come back down.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info JIRodriguez all my others smokers are exposed steel guess i just got used doing the season thing lol... I think i will do a burn run on Friday
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info JIRodriguez all my others smokers are exposed steel guess i just got used doing the season thing lol... I think i will do a burn run on Friday
icon_biggrin.gif
Yeah... I was the same way.... just FYI you test burn will go a looooong time if you fill the ring all the way. I would just do half a ring, should burn out in 6-10 hrs. depending on your weather.

I am in upstate n.y so the weather is not the warmest this time of year. weather calls for 28 degrees on Friday do you think i should run a full basket or half?

Welcome to SMF - great looking new smoker and controller - looking forward to some great qview from you

I am in upstate n.y so the weather is not the warmest this time of year. weather calls for 28 degrees on Friday do you think i should run a full basket or half?
For your test burn I would run the water pan empty with a half load of the ring. In cold weather I find leaving the water pan empty is the way to go. Just make sure to still foil the water pan to catch drippings and make clean up easier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky