Got most of my Christmas smoking done.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Renton, WA
Two shoulders (and 2 chucks) to get ready and into the freezer for gifts. 

c6c7c8cd_121009_1147.jpg
fb72dda9_121009_1149.jpg

shoulders into the briny deep,  looks like we're gonna need a bigger pot...    thank goodness for ziplocs.

All sortsa stuff in this brine: maple syrup, sugars, dijon, spices, herbs, garlic, worsty, fresh ginger, orange, +

brined for about 9-10 hours, then rinsed and let rest overnight.  Meant to put rub on, but went to a party instead, so the rub didn't get on til the next day. 

7ed21b2e_121209_1137.jpg

into the fridge for a few hours of rest in the rub: brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, herbes de provence because someone mentioned it here the other day (!), cumin, dry mustard, garam masala, lemon adobo, a few other usual suspects.and into the CSE at 225..

3677bbcb_121209_1140.jpg

foiled after about 4 hours @ 160 with apricot nectar and maker's mark, back in for about 4 more hours. toweled and in the cooler for 2 hours.  It's falling apart.

b3664134_121209_1145.jpg

81867e79_121309_1134-1.jpg

679b316a_121309_1136.jpg

got 6 nice pork presents chillin' in the freezer.  Going to give them with some of Soflaquer's finishing sauce.

do you use bear claws
I was thinking I was gonna wish I had some, but this meat practically shredded itself! 2 serving forks got it started and then you could almost stir the shreds apart!  about 10-11 lbs, uncooked was pulled in about 20 min. Would've been faster but it was still darn hot!

yea my mother in law is getting me some this weekend and i was just wondering if folks really use them

do you use bear claws
I was thinking I was gonna wish I had some, but this meat practically shredded itself! 2 serving forks got it started and then you could almost stir the shreds apart!  about 10-11 lbs, uncooked was pulled in about 20 min. Would've been faster but it was still darn hot!

Well, this shredded easily, but if I'd had 'em, I'd have used 'em! Hot! fingers! ouch!  the forks work but are not perfect-fine for breaking meat up but not great for actually pulling. 

icon_cool.gif

Now the pulled pork looks awesome and I bet you use the same "oh Sh-t"  mehod that I do. It's when you start pulling and you jump around and say oh Sh-- that's Hot and even stick your hands into some cold water and then go right back at it again. Then you just repeat till all the pulling is pulled.

You use that method too Mark?
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
 Barbe great job, you are going to make the recipients of those gifts very happy. Merry Christmas!

icon_cool.gif

Now the pulled pork looks awesome and I bet you use the same "oh Sh-t"  mehod that I do. It's when you start pulling and you jump around and say oh Sh-- that's Hot and even stick your hands into some cold water and then go right back at it again. Then you just repeat till all the pulling is pulled.

Hey Barbe, that pork looks great & I am sure with the Soflaquer's finishing sauce   the recipients of this gift are gonna be very happy. Good job, you make the Pacific NW proud.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky