GOSM Jerky Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

monty

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 17, 2005
Newark, Vermont
What comes after two days of rain in Vermont? Monday!

All kidding aside I have an inspiration for maiking Jerky in my GOSM and would like some feedback.

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that the temp gauge in my GOSM has been hanging around 120 (corrected) degrees on sunny days. That is with no nothing happening inside. Here's the plan:

Assuming that I will have a sunny day, load the GOSM with hanging jerky strips, my teriyaki marinade of course, and then just place a few briquets into the cast iron wood box with some cherry and a bit of mesquite.. No water in pan.

I would start the smoke early, about 6 AM and maybe use a touch of propane to take the chill off, but once the sun was up and I had about six hours of gentle smoke from the few briquets and the cherry/mesquite combo I would just let the fire and smoke go away and let the jerky cure from the natural forces available!

In one of the threads, I forget from whom and in which thread, someone suggested doing a briquet fire and smoke thingy. But I think I will take it a step further and just rely more on the naturally generated heat of the sun.

Open to all comments and I will of course document with pics and text!

Cheers!
Monty

I think you have something there Monty. You might want to completely close off the vent to keep the flies etc. out. When I was a kid at home (in the forties) my Dad dried apricots, prunes, and apples in a box he built with window screen in the front and back. It stood on legs about 4' high out in the sun. The temp. during the day was in the high 90"s to low 100"s.

I've done jerky in an electric dehydrator with good results. The time for a good batch was about 36 hours, depending on the heat range. Your method will probably take longer, but "Good Things" take time.

Looking forward to seeing your pix and reading your synopsis.

Right now, I'm doing the 'Beef Clod' per the recipe you posted a few days ago. I even have that "thin Blue Line" smoke thing going on.

Hey, Wasper!

I don't remember posting to the beef clod thingy but I will review. Senior moments are getting more frequent!

Thanks for the input from your earlier days! My grandmother did similar things. The deal here is that the GOSM is black and in direct sunlight. I will make the jerky strips about an eight inch thick and if I start them as I described I am sure that by sundown they will be ready for vacuum sealing.

BTW Never got to make those shrimp ABTs. Ended up doing a sautee in olive oil, butter, garlic, ginger. When about half done dropped in coarsely chopped parsley and spinach leaves. Serves as a side with crumbled well aged cheddar on top! It worked!

Cheers!
Monty

HEY MONTY,

I'm thinken I goofed on who posted the "Beef Clod" recipe. Whomever, posted a website.

Yeah, for sure, a black smoker is gonna get a lot hotter inside. Your shrimp concoction sounds yummie.
We're having a big bash for my wifes birthday on Sat. July 22nd. Right now we're experimenting with hors d'oeuvres. Going to try putting together the 'Mediterranean Shrimp Salad in Cucumber Cups' tonight.

Keep us posted on the jerky adventure.

Stay tuned, Wasper! If Mommy Nature cooperates the jerky experiment will happen next weekend!

Good luck on your search and experimenting for hors d'oeuvres!

Cheers!
Monty

OK GOOD BUDDY,

It WAS you you posted the info on Beef Clods. See your post under "Rump Roasts" dated Thur. June 29. Boy, you had me worried there for a minute. You're just too darn busy to keep up with yourself.

Well, dear friend, I was in doubt but I think I have the answer. Dutch posted that URL and not me. I searched all my posts for that period and double checked just to make sure. Dutch is your man! You see, I know nothing about a beef clod and do not post about things I do not know about.

Ya had me goin'! :D

Cheers!
Monty

Hey Monty,

I've been watching my BSKD gauge lately and have seen it get up to 150 degrees with no fuel (except the sun) :!:

I had kind of been thinking jerky myself. Let me know how this goes.

By the way, have you ever tried that Sesame Oil in your Teriyaki marinade?

Heya, Rodger!
YESSSSSS ! Sesame oil seems to be the trick! I am constantly refining and changing my recipes as new ideas pop! Next weekend I will use sesame oil in the marinade with a few other changes!
Stay tuned!
Cheers!
Monty

Me mouth be waterin' lad! As I indicated I am gonna pull the trigger on a few ingredient ideas! Hold on to your hat!
Cheers!`
Monty

Monty, your purposed experiment sounds kind of like the So. African Biltong (cured beef). In biltong, the meat is cut into 1/2 inch thick slices 6 inches long and it's cut with the grain. The beef is then salted with rock salt and left to sit for an hour and then the salt is scraped off and the strips dipped in some apple cider vinegar-when the excess vinegar has dripped off, the meat is sprinkled with course ground black pepper and ground coirander.
The meat is then placed in a covered box and placed in the sun. After 3-4 days the meat is hard and dry on the outside and moist on the inside.

I know, I know, you're in awe of my wealth of food knowledge :P. But fact is we used to have a customer that was from So. Africa and was always buying boneless beef from us so he could make biltong.

Sure does sound similar, Dutch, but what I propose is from pure economics....it's cheap! A few briquets in the smoke pan with a few wood chunks and with most of the heat provided by the sun I feel this would be an excellent way to make a whole pile of jerky in a short time with a minimum of cost.

I have cut a piece of expanded metal to fit the wood pan to keep the briquets and wood chunks off the bottom of the pan and to protect from smothering in ash. Will report resultss this weekend with pics!
Cheers
Monty

Checked my thermometer about 2 hours ago Monty and it read 140 degrees. West sun 6PM, 98 degree day against a brick wall!

I am waiting patiently to see your experiment.

I hope to get started early Saturday morning. Will have meat prepped and marinated Friday night. 'Sposed to be in the 90's Saturday here so that temp, the black GOSM, a bit of heat generated by the smoke box ought to do the trick! We'll see what happens!
Cheers!
Monty

Gotta hold off on the jerky thing today. Wickedly humid, overcast and gonna rain like heck most of the afternoon. Weatherman promises hot, dry and sunny tomorrow. Will launch the project at first light!
Cheers!
Monty

Hi, y'all! Having a bit of trouble posting today. Most likely on my end. Am on dial up and the service in these boonies,.....wellll......SUCKS!

Anyway, got an early morning service call and that killed my hot box experiment. Got home a bit after noon. But I had everything ready to go so I racked the teriyaki jerky and lit the burner under some maple, cherry and a bit of mesquite. Burner is on lowest setting and we'll see what happens. The pic shows about seven pounds or more of bottom round racked one piece per grill space and meat was sliced 3/16"

Cheers!
Monty

Well, chalk up a dud! Left the GOSM too long. Even though there was plenty of water in the pan and the burner was on the lowest setting I made jerky charcoal! Could not stomach a picture. Will try again!
Cheers
Monty

Monty
Sorry to hear that your plans didn't turn out as expected...sure sounded like you had everything all figured out right...unexpected distractions ..what number is that on Murphy's Law list...

Later
Richard

MONTY,

It takes courage to be up front and admit a failure. I admire that in a person. On a personal note; One time 30 plus years ago, I made charcoal out of a barbque full of country ribs. Got pre-occupied and discovered my gormet masterpiece on fire. I took those bits of "charcoal ribs" one by one and tossed them over the back fence into a field. Went directly back to the store and bought more ribs to start all over again. The bottom line--------my kids now refer to them as "FLYING COUNTRY RIBS".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky