GOSM Jerky Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Monty,

i've had my share of bad moments in my smoking career. Just take the same info we try to share with the new guys, and figure out what went wrong and try to make it better.

At least it was beef jerky and not venison or something not so easily replaced. :D

Well, Sir Monty at least you tried. Remember, you're using a new smoker-gotta keep in mind about that new learning curve thing. :P

Post Mortem....Gosm Beef jerky experiment

First of all I violated my own rules. Had a plan, a good plan, and when that was negated I tried to "do it any way" only different.

My day started out with an early morning service call which blew my timing. Or at least that's what I thought! Then I tried to rush into the jerky thing using the propane burner and not a few charcoal lumps and wood chunks as I had planned.

SO, in the final examination of my smoker and its contents it appears that my wood pan flared, it was filled with fine off white powder. At that point the jerky was probably done. But, still trying to fit everything in I did not keep a close watch on my jerky and the flare up and ensuing high temp turned my jerky into charcoal

What I should have done was reserve out a bit of the marinated beef for a teriyaki stir fry with vegetables and served over rice and froze the other sheebang and tried again next weekend!

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Cheers!
Monty

Sounds like you have it figured out Monty,

It sounds like you like a little oriental foods so I will turn you on to one of our favorite recipes. I copied the sauce from the North China Restaurant, in Norcross, Ga. Best chinese I ever had. (And I was in Hawaii, Phillipines, Japan etc with the navy for 4 years)

Shrimp & Chicken Hunan

4 Boneless chicken breasts
1/2# peeled raw shrimp (medium size
1 cup seasoned flour for frying
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 bag brocolli flowerettes
1 bell pepper
1 onion
2 cloves Garlic
3 TBSP fresh grated ginger root
1 TBSP cayenne pepper(less if required for less heat)
4 TBSP vinegar
4 TBSP sugar(Splenda if needed)
2 TBSP corn starch
4 TBSP soy sauce
2 TBSP sesame oil
2 TBSP Chili powder
1 TBSP creamy peanut butter

Cut chicken in chunks and deep fry in seasoned flour mixture. Set aside.
Mix Chili powder, sesame oil, cayenne pepper and peanut butter and
microwave for 1 min. Add 2 TBSP soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and corn starch and stir till mixed well and corn starch is dissolved. Add chicken broth, stir and set aside. This is the sauce.

Cut bell pepper in small chunks and cut onion in strips.

In skillet or wok heat oil to high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir well, do not let burn. Add bell pepper, onion and brocolli flowerettes, stire well and add remaining 2 TBSP soy sauce. Stir and cover to wilt veggies to preferred doneness. When done, add shrimp and cook till pink, then add chicken, stir in sauce and let thicken slightly. :D

Eat and enjoy. My wife and kids won't go to a chinese restaurant anymore without griping that this is better. 8)

WOW! Gotta try that recipe soon! Thanks, Rodger! And yes, I enjoy dabbling in Oriental cooking. I have several woks and enjoy experimenting there also. CharBroil grill has a side burner and it is excellent for a quickie "Wok to Dinner"!
Cheers!
Monty

Hey Monty,
I'm also waiting to see how your experiment turned out. I made some jerky this weekend using the American Harvest Jerky works kit. The kit actually extrudes the ground beef mixture. It is uniform in shape and thickness. I smoked it in my GOSM. It turned out great but I kept thinking of your experiment. I just might work. Let us know when you get it done.

Monty, I was rereading this and realized that I was responding to a post on page 1. After I posted, I saw the additional posts and now understand your effort. Sorry to hear about the bomb. I've certainly had mine. But, if you do get a chance to follow up, please don't hesitate to let us know how it turns out.

If at first you don't fricassee, fry, fry again!!
Chicken Little

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky