Good deal? Maybe, maybe not!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 16, 2014
Bradenton
9A73523F-ECCA-4C39-A6D5-490827C97251.jpeg

I saw this at Sam's club the other day and thought if it looked as good on the inside as it does on the outside, it should be a good buy. After watching some YouTube videos on how to butcher a whole sirloin tip, I tore into it. And it looked great on the inside. Very lean, but not near as much gristle as eye of round.

I ended up with 4 piles. One larger roast that I smoked to slice into thin deli roast beef, one small roast that I’m going to thin slice raw for stir fry, a nice pile that I ground into hamburger with some brisket fat I had in the freezer, and I smallish pile of scrap.

The surprise came when I weighed the piles and added them up.

I WAS TWO POUNDS SHORT! I reweighed everything three times. I don’t know what could have happened to the 2 pounds. So the next time I go to Sam's I’m taking my scales to try and figure it out.

Having said that, I did smoke the larger roast today, and it is fantastic! A little chewy, but without the threads of gristle in eye of round and the flavor was superior. I just finished one of the hamburgers, and it was better than those I usually make from eye or round or even brisket.

Attachments

• 399ECAD3-192F-4E79-A002-75C5F5363D01.jpeg
    399ECAD3-192F-4E79-A002-75C5F5363D01.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 59D798B6-79A1-4C95-9C18-9E421B83F182.jpeg
    59D798B6-79A1-4C95-9C18-9E421B83F182.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 36
$2.49 per lb for sirloin tip sounds like a good deal to me.
Why was it 2 lbs lite after dividing? Who knows?

Man surely there was some shrinkage from when it was weighted to when you weighed it? I'd hate to think they were trying to rip anyone off? Got to be a logical reason?

Are you sure of the calibration of your scale at home? I'd sure hate to think that Sam's is putting a finger on their scale at the packaging plant. That would be enough to get me to never go in there to buy meat again .

Am I reading your notes right?
Three piles are listed on the white board:
Lean=2.1lb
Roast/stakes=4.0lb
waste=1.1lb

That makes the total = 2.1+4.0+1.1 = 7.2lb, same as the packed weight.

Reactions: chopsaw
OH MY!!! Getting old is really a bitch! And math was always my strong point in school.

But, the silver lining is, it was very tasty—and now it’s also cheap!

Are you sure of the calibration of your scale at home? I'd sure hate to think that Sam's is putting a finger on their scale at the packaging plant. That would be enough to get me to never go in there to buy meat again .

I checked my scale and it was right on. However, I didn’t check my math

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky