Gonna try the mullett today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theoldman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
I scraped down the cook chamber and power washed and got rid of most of the chicken fat after the last session.  Been looking at mods for the el cheapo offset Brinkman, and made a hi-temp silicone gasket, add a diverter to move the smoke further down the chamber, and installed 2 just above the grate thermometers.  Right now I'm burning a hot fire (300) and just sprayed the inside of the cook chamber down with water.  As soon as it burn out, I'm going to try lump charcoal and some oak splits on some mullett filets a friend gave me.  I just built a charcoal starter chimney this AM, so will see how that works too.  Installed the smoker and the gas grill into a pergalo I had built some years ago and never got used, maybe this will be a good use for it.  I'm gonna try kosher salt, course ground black pepper and old bay sprinkled on the mullet and smoke @ 180-200 until flaky.  Wish me luck - this is my first try at fish.

Sounds like some good mullet going to be ready soon.

You may want to just use charcoal as your heat source till you get used to how the brinkman

operates. These smokers were not designed to be stick burners allthough some folks use wood in them w/o any problems.

Mullet was fabulous!  Little too much salt,but I'll rectify that next time.  Used lump charcol with a small stick of oak on top once in a while to keep the temp where I wanterd it.  Worked good, and my homje made chimney worked great.  Time for a fish fry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky