Gonna make some ground beef jerky and I found this interesting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Never did ground beef jerky, this guy seems to have a good idea on the subject.

Hahahhahahahaa the guy in the video said he edited that video down and it was still 51m+ long :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

After 4m on double speed I'm going to speculate that he learned to make jerky from ground meat and the additional 47m are simply showing his process, but back to the point of the thread lol.

Yeah ground jerky is basically the way I do mine these days. It is SO much softer on the teeth, easier to do on a whim, and easier to manage than doing whole meat sliced jerky.

I have like 38+ pounds of pure 100% ground venison this year and that is on purpose. I can take that ground meat and use it taco meat, spaghetti sauce, add fat and make sausage, etc. etc.

One of my favorite things I can do with it is make jerky very easily and I always recommend to people to try and make ground meat jerky... heck it is what all the big stick jerky or bags of "chunk" jerky is in the stores anyhow and people don't realize it :)

The guy in the video said he bought ground meat from Costo and I have done the same. My Costco carries 88/12 ground beef. Just a WARNING, I wouldn't go any fattier than 88/12 and really I would target a leaner ground beef or I would simply suggest grinding a learner cut of beef yourself if that is an option.

Even at 88/12 you get a good amount of fat/grease that comes out of the ground jerky and a couple of wipe downs usually removes enough of the excess to keep going.
With my 100% venison jerky there is basically no fat and there is no fat/grease leakage of any kind.

I don't know if the guy in the video ever covers this point but I figure I would bring it.

smokininidaho smokininidaho give ground meat jerky a shot and I'm sure you will love it! :D

Used to make ground jerky all the time but went back to whole meat jerky instead. Just like it better I guess. Didn't watch his video, too long! Did he shoot the jerky out of the gun or did he roll it out into a big sheet? Used to use a jerky gun but that is messy and requires reloading a lot. The last batches I made when I was really making a lot of ground I rolled it out. Set up a couple strips of 1/4" wood on parchment paper then run the roller over the meat and spacers. Put grill mat on meat then smoker grate on top, flip over done. One sheet of jerky ready to smoke. Then cut and trim after its smoked. Kids always wanted the whole sheet... Now we have the rolling pins that have are gauged to roll out either 1/4" or 1/8", those would work great for rolling out jerky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky