Gonna do my first Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scorpion79

Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Only the second thing I have smoked so far in my MES 30. So here are a few questions. I am gonna do 250* until it hits 125 to 130 internal then I am gonna fol it. But, Where do you guys and gals put the probe in the smoker at for the temp? Gonna be inside the meat obviously but do you go through the top vent or is it better through the door seal? And Do you insert the probe the whole time or wait a bit to let it cook some first? Trying to learn this the right way! And you guys I know have far more knowledge than I do!! Thanks in advance.

Only the second thing I have smoked so far in my MES 30. So here are a few questions. I am gonna do 250* until it hits 125 to 130 internal then I am gonna fol it. But, Where do you guys and gals put the probe in the smoker at for the temp? Gonna be inside the meat obviously but do you go through the top vent or is it better through the door seal? And Do you insert the probe the whole time or wait a bit to let it cook some first? Trying to learn this the right way! And you guys I know have far more knowledge than I do!! Thanks in advance.
I run mine through the smoke vent.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky