Gonna be an all nighter. PP, Baked Beans, ABT's oh boy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dauntless

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Groton, CT
Well my folks are coming into town tomorrow so I am doing a bone in pork butt, baked beans, and a couplke abt's for the over night snacking. 

I rubbed the butt with Jeffs rub, injected it a couple hours ago with apple juice, jack daniels honey, and some of the rub. I plan on spritzing it a little with the same mixture. I will be trying JJ's finishing sauce for the first time. The beans are just canned Bush's grilling beans (sweet mesquite style) I am still unsure of whether to doctor them or not, this is my first time smoking beans. The ABT's will be stuffed with cc, shredded cheddar and of course bacon wrapped.

The game plan is to get the smoker rolling tbs at 225 or so and bring the butt to 200 degs (hopefully no more than 10 hrs), wrap in foil and towels and stick in a cooler for an hour or two before pulling. Not sure when I will add the beans but I figured 2-3 hours would be good time wise on those, so I will prob add them early and reheat tomorrow. 

Pics and the rest of the story to follow. Gonna try and take a nap and start smoking around midnight. I have been looking forward to this for awhile, have not had much time this summer to smoke, but i went on leave yesterday so I am taking full advantage of it.

Last edited:
I'm doing the same thing. Starting at midnight and doing baked beans as well. Good luck with yours!
And thanks for your service to our country. It is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Sounds like some good Q-View is coming this way from you. Can't wait to see the results.

Here is a couple before pics. Did not get any prep pics. More to follow, got a latter start due to eat time being pushed till dinner tonight. The TBS is rolling and I'm in it for the long burn now.
47eae76f-caa2-85e6.jpg

47eae76f-cab1-8d34.jpg

Last edited:
Still not 100 percent sure what I'm doing with the beans but we will figure it out I'm sure.

Fighting a lot of up/down temps on the uds right now. Making small air intake adjustments and all I'm doing is chasing right now. I have never dealt with this before on the uds.

We have stalled around 160 so I decided it was a good time to foil and put the beans on. Added some jack honey and maple syrup to the beans, we shall see how this comes out.
47eae76f-fe97-584b.jpg

Last edited:
IT is reading 193. The beans have been on for two hours and I think I'm gonna let it ride another 30 mins. The abt's still have another hour tops. Man the yard smells awesome, just unfoiled the butt for the remainder of the smoke. I have never done this but I keep reading all the no foil posts so I figured I would do both methods. Pics to follow as they come out of the uds.

I had a small stall at 160, now she has stalled again at about 189. Looking good though I think.
47eae76f-32db-53aa.jpg

47eae76f-32e9-91ae.jpg

Nice color on that. Ill be waiting for the finished shots

Gotta say that this came it really well. I had a late game stall around 187 that I was not expecting.

47eae76f-9646-d4ef.jpg

47eae76f-965e-a7fb.jpg

47eae76f-9670-db3b.jpg

47eae76f-9684-bc25.jpg

47eae76f-9692-8c4d.jpg

47eae76f-96a7-3ec7.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky