Golden Butter Buns; with Tangzhong and Sourdough starter discard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
First Let me say....THANK YOU chopsaw chopsaw !!

I have been on an endless search to recreate one of my favorite breads...the butter bun roll. But not just any ole butter bun roll....one made by a local restaurant that to me is the best roll on the planet. Well....tonight, I nailed it. That Tangzhong you posted is the secret! I had never heard of it until you posted about it. That and the recipes at the King Aurthur site; The golden pull-apart butter bun recipe ...WOW! Now I can cross that one off the list. When I say nailed it...I mean not close...I mean spot on!

Here is the recipe (use the Tangzhong and some sourdough starter discard notes at bottom of the link):

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/golden-pull-apart-butter-buns-recipe

So here we go!

Pulled out my Mom's old bread machine off the shelf and dusted it off, cleaned the pan and paddle (I would have done a hand kneed but I am still nursing my tendonitis). Did some calculations to make the Tangzhong (don't do that like I did.... the calculations are at the bottom of the page!) and figured out how much flour I needed to subtract to account for the starter...OH-and don't forget to increase the amount of water for the Tangzhong!

In the Bread machine on the dough setting for one hour and 40 minutes to mix, knead, and rise.
before, just as the dough came together...
IMG_20230201_212210.jpg

After rising...
IMG_20230201_224128.jpg

That old bread machine is great for making dough and rising...it is heated so dough rises great!

dough punched down, cut and formed into balls in greased round pans...
IMG_20230201_225654.jpg

Let them rise for an hour covered with a towel @85*F...
IMG_20230202_000110.jpg

And out of the oven brushed with melted butter...
IMG_20230202_002606.jpg

IMG_20230202_002902.jpg

All I can say is HOLEY KEY RAP these are good!!!!!!! I mean as in dangerously good....I'll wanna eat one whole pan every time I bake them!!! That Tangzhong is a REAL game changer!!!!!!! Pictures just do not do it justice!

Last edited:
Key here is to use the milk with flour in the pan for the Tangzhong. Both the milk and flour will gel when heated and that gel is what grabs onto water to make the dough super moist upon baking.

That gel is the same thing that happens with NFDM powder when using it in sausages.

Some great looking rolls Keith, nice utilization of the bread machine, good work! RAY

Some great looking rolls Keith, nice utilization of the bread machine, good work! RAY
Indeed! Thanks Ray!

OMG Keith. Freaking Awesome! Will be trying this.
Hell yeah Brian! I was blown away at how pillowy soft and awesome these are!

Oh man! A pan of those and some honey butter and I'd be riding on high cotton!

Jim
Don't enable me J!! Or I'll be making honey butter tonight! LOL!

Man those do look good Keith. I've found you can't go wrong with a chopsaw chopsaw inspired meal.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks gmc! chop does know a thing or two about food!

Oh my. I admired Chop's dinner rolls the other day, and now you've made your own and provided a link for them, even better. I try to stay as gluten free as possible, but once in awhile I stray/allow myself some. Bet you can guess what my next splurge will be. Thanks for the pics, they are gorgeous and I bet the taste is divine!

Reactions: JLeonard
I admired Chop's dinner rolls the other day, and now you've made your own and provided a link for them, even better.
That's a kick in the " buns " ,,,, Get it ?

KA youtube videos,
I was doing a Japanese milk bread that starts with a rue . I got it from another site , but KA has one for milk bread that I bet is good .
Years ago I always did it with scalded milk and sugar to start . Mixed in some flour and yeast to proof .

Yours look great so no Knead to change anything .

Reactions: indaswamp
Tangzhong is WONDERFUL, isn't it!!! It's the only way I've made my sandwich bread for about the last 4 - 5 years.

Those butter buns look great! NOW I have to get a SD starter going...sigh. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky