Golden Butter Buns; with Tangzhong and Sourdough starter discard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Between reading the 2 different recipes and the Tangzhong method I was getting confused. I tried combining in my recipe manager to make sense of it. I not understanding adding the extra water to recipe from the Tangzhong? Seems like a lot of water to have to add or am I missing something? Also you using the milk to make the Tangzhong?

Discard starter: 126g (generous 1/2 cup)
355g, about 3 cups King ArthurUnbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons (23g) potato flour or 1/4 cup (23g) dried potato flakes (instant mashed potatoes)
3 tablespoons (21g) King Arthur Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons (25g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons (9g) salt
4 tablespoons (57g) butter, softened
89g, about 6 tablespoons water, lukewarm
1/2 cup (113g) milk, lukewarm
2 tablespoons (28g) melted butter
23 g about 3 Tbsp flour from the 355g
198g or about 7/8 cup additional water from making Tangzhong

Last edited:
Whatever water is in the added starter discard, you need the back that out of the total for the recipe. For the tangzhong, use 3TBSPS, of the flour and the 1/2cup of milk.....

You also need to back out the amount of flour in the starter discard from the total.....

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Whatever water is in the added starter discard, you need the back that out of the total for the recipe. For the tangzhong, use 3TBSPS, of the flour and the 1/2cup of milk.....

You also need to back out the amount of flour in the starter discard from the total.....
I was really confused about this:

Transfer the cooked mixture to a bowl, let it cool to lukewarm, then combine it with the remaining flour and the other dough ingredients, increasing the amount of water to 7/8 cup (7 ounces).

I think I figured it out. Just need to add some to the 89 grams water which would now be 135g instead of 89.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky