GMG Pellets Sticking In Hopper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phartin

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
I just got a GMG Daniel Boone today. In attempting to use it for the first time, I have 4 times seen the temperature start dropping, only to discover that I'm not getting any pellets into the auger. First time is was a pellet bridge, where there was an empty pocket over the auger, and nothing else falling down. The other three times I could actually see straight down to the auger and all of the pellets are just clinging to the side of the hopper rather than falling down.

Has anybody else had this problem? How did you fix it? Is it likely caused by the pellets? They are 100% hickory pellets from cookinpellets.com, but they are a couple years old, so perhaps they have pulled in some humidity from the air over time. I just don't want to go replace all of my bags of pellets if that's not the real cause.

I'm wondering if greasing the hopper walls with something might do the trick.

Funneling we see it with our pellet stove every once in a while. When it happens we just knock down the pellets with our hands. As far as air gaps - since I'm not sure how big the hopper is on a GMC I would suggest just stirring them up with your hands or a stick when you fill it up. Note that I don't have a pellet pooper, but a home heating pellet stove.

Chris

I just got a GMG Daniel Boone today. In attempting to use it for the first time, I have 4 times seen the temperature start dropping, only to discover that I'm not getting any pellets into the auger. First time is was a pellet bridge, where there was an empty pocket over the auger, and nothing else falling down. The other three times I could actually see straight down to the auger and all of the pellets are just clinging to the side of the hopper rather than falling down.

Has anybody else had this problem? How did you fix it? Is it likely caused by the pellets? They are 100% hickory pellets from cookinpellets.com, but they are a couple years old, so perhaps they have pulled in some humidity from the air over time. I just don't want to go replace all of my bags of pellets if that's not the real cause.

I seem to have fix this problem for my GMG as well as any pellet grill or stove. I am thinking of putting it

I seem to have fixed this problem for good and it would work on any grill . I purchased a cheap auger motor with a 2 rpm speed. mounted it crossways with a shaft and 2- 1" spikes on it to stir the walls of the funnel where it would bridge. wired it into the auger source and it kicks on with the auger. I might put it on YOUTUBE. Brand of pellets didnt matter at all although brand new pellets seem to work best but when they get a little moisture and fuzz up and swell then they would bridge all the time. I believe the Traeger opening is a little bigger which prevented this but i like my GMG and not buying another till I have to.

If I had a problem with feeding I would try the Kingsford pellets, they are very short and don't think they could ever bridge, also they are 100% the wood stated, no filler wood, hickory is great imo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky