Giving a Pork Shoulder Roast a try (Bone in)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You might be right about closing down some of the intake holes.

Just checked it again and still have good flow of smoke and temps are hanging at 225 in the chamber. Picnic is 126 IT after 4 1/2 hours everything seems to be going just fine! Guess I will head off the bed and hope for the best over night. Speaking of over night the low tonight is suppose to be 6 degrees. Right now temps are about 18ish I am pretty impressed that the CC temps are hanging in pretty good (220-225 with smoker set at 235). Closing the vent and exhaust brought my CC temps up about 5 degrees.

Removed the shoulder from smoker at 7:45 AM (14:15 total cook time) IT was 200. I did make a small mistake before I added shoulder to the smoker. I forgot to spray grate with Pam when I went to remove the bottom was partly stuck to grate. I managed to get it off without pulling it apart to badly. Since just a little bit stuck to grate the wife and I were able to give it a taste (Yes it is very good). The skin is more salty then I wanted and had some crunch to it.

Looks great.....gladly you got the AMNPS to finally work for you too!
Oh man I am so glad to get it dialed in a little better. I still have some work to do with it like slowing the burn rate down but that should be easy enough. It the past I have had little success with my MES 40 but have always struggled with getting smoke. Now that I have the smoke I think this will be a great smoker for me. Thanks for everyone's help what a great forum.

Nothing it is in a ziplock bag. I do not know what crackling is! I plan to cut it up and put in aluminum pie pan with small holes punched in it above shoulder allowing grease to drip on meat. I think I read to do that some where on here.
LOL----Must have been on my "Double Smoked Ham X 4" thread. That's where I first showed how I do that. Works Great !!!

Looks Real Good, Dockman !!!

Bear

Last edited:
Smoked a small pork roast today. Pulled it at 145º. Was fantastic. Marinated over night in a soy sauce based recipe. You could cut it with a fork.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky