Ghost In My House?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
Since I got my new computer I hear the damned thing booting up in the middle of the night. When I get up the thing is in standby mode.

I thought I checked all the settings, but I just checked the windows update settings and found they were set at 3 am everyday and today there was an install at 8 am before I was up. I changed the time to 12 noon and we'll see if that was it. I didn't think it would actually boot up on it's own when off but we'll see if that was the problem. I also changed the settings to let me choose what I wanted to install.

Any opinions or knowledge?

All I know is it was weird.

Laptop, I have the settings set at 1 hour and no powersave settings, high performence.

It's the great yoshida himself.
icon_smile.gif

confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon_redface.gif

Huh? I was looking for help. Thanks anyway.
icon_wink.gif

icon_confused.gif
icon_frown.gif

I have unexplained things happen all the time with my computers/ stereos and other electronic devices. Could it be? I don't know, I just blame it on modern technology. I ain't afraid of no ghost. LOL

Weird huh?

I will see tomorrow after reseting the settings.

Check your BIOS settings under any Power Management tabs. Something is set to wake the computer. Possibly wake on lan setting is on also. There are other options also such as Sasser virus I believe had this symptom. Also sometimes a power supply can cause this ... IDK which is your solution, but it's probably in there somewhere. Start with the BIOS settings first - be very careful what you change there.

Good Luck

I didn't see anything weird there thanks for the advice though. I'll see what happens in the next few days.

No help......only a comment. About 3 years ago, we gave our daughter a Dell laptop. Within a month or two, she started complaining about how screwed up it was. So I had her bring it home to show me (couldn't resist.....I live in Missouri).

Time has a way of clouding the facts, so I don't remember if it turned itself on or not, but within half an hour of booting up......without touching anything, it would launch IE and open upwards of 30 windows.....it just kept going until it ran out of memory and if you closed one....it opened two more......essentially freezing the computer and rendering it inoperable. All attributed to popups, spam and spyware. There was no way for a mortal like me to get control of it. Eventually, I had to take it back to the place I bought it and they had to wipe it clean and start over. Since then, it had to have all the extra crap loaded onto it to prevent all this, and has to have constant updates to stay in front of it all. And all that crap represents overhead and slow operation.

Which is why I use Apple Macs for all Internet and Email related use. I have one Windows machine for applications that require it (only a couple), but that's all it is used for. Nobody touches it for Internet surfing under the penalty of eating raw horseradish. You can't avoid an Internet connection as Windows machines almost won't run without the ability to call home to momma. The constant popups and gasps you get when the thing is severed from it's Internet connection is almost as bad as the other.

I have an ancient old 200 Watt RMS Quadraphonic Stereo system that turns itself on during every thunderstorm. We have learned to unplug the amp instead of just pushing the on/off button ever since Iron Butterfly's Anna Godda da vida started up in the middle of the night at about 150 decibels. Scared the crap out of us. It sounded like all hell had broken loose. With each new clap of thunder the volume increases in the amp till it is deafening. That old Ampex Amp could rattle the windows out of their mounts.

My new Emerson HD TV sometimes turns itself on or off when You turn off the satilite feed in the other room. Annoying as heck but what are ya going to do?

I would also think something in either the BIOS or the Windows settings is allowing the LAN/Eathernet ports to power on the machine when an update is recieved. If not either of those then my next guess would be screwy power supply as well.

I tried to and it doesn't work.

And yes it was on this AM.
icon_evil.gif

I called Toshiba and they had me take battery out and disconnect the power, and reset it, we'll see if that does it.

Thanks everyone.

Windows 7? seems like theres alot of hidden settings on this new crap from bill gates, i bought a netbook with 7 on it and i might wipe it and put xp on it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky