Getting With Some Sourdough.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Mixing some SD for a loaf pan.

150g active starter.
Adding to the starter is 25g olive oil and 250g warm spring water.
20220322_133348.jpg

Mix the starter, oil and water together.

Then add 500g bread flour and 11g sea salt.
Mix good so no large dry flour remains.
Cover and autolyse for an hour at room temp.
20220322_134033.jpg

After an hour autolyse i form the dough into a smooth ball.
Cover and bulk rise.
20220322_144610.jpg

An autolyse (“oh-toe-lease”), sometimes written as autolyze, autolysis, or dough autolysis, is the act of combining the flour and some or all of the water in a recipe, and then leaving the mixture to rest for some period. That's it! During this time, gluten bonds begin forming, the dough takes on a smoother texture and strengthens overall.

Also, in the presence of water, enzymes in the flour begin to function. Somewhat paradoxically since the dough feels stronger overall, protease enzymes start breaking down protein bonds, slackening the dough. This slackening leads to an increase in a dough's extensibility the ability for the dough to stretch out without tearing. Extensibility is an essential quality for bread dough. Having the right amount of extensibility—which is counter-balanced by elasticity, or the tendency for the dough to resist stretching—means a dough can expand and be filled with the gaseous byproducts of fermentation.

You make some killer bread Rick. Looks like you seattled in nicely to your new home. That reminds me I need to get one going. Just finished my last. A loaf last me 2 months.

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
That looks really good - Sourdough is my favorite bread. I am almost getting tired (not really) of things on this forum that get added to my "must-make" list :)

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
I did a cold bake. Right from the fridge to oven, no pre heat of my DO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky