Getting the hang of it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bl0wingsm0ke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
Huntington Beach, CA
So this is the first somewhat decent cook on the OK Joe. Done some wings and brats, very short and easy. Decided to get some ribs on there since they were $0.99/lb. Simple rub: salt, pepper, paprika. Went a bit heavy on the salt IMO, so will tweak that next time. Maybe balance it with a touch of garlic powder. Ran the smoker 250 to 275 the whole time. Pulled at 192 and rested for an hour. Had one small hiccup when I was not paying close enough attention to the FB and the coals were starting to dwindle. Had to get almost a whole new fire going. Left them unwrapped the whole time. Total cook time was about 5 hours. Ribs were incredibly juicy with a great bite. Bonus is some turkey thighs that turned out great.

Cheers!

IMG_3612.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3618.jpg
IMG_3613.jpg

Nice looking ribs good color.

Point for sure.

Chris

Mighty fine looking ribs there, Great price on those, We just don't see that up here... That's a Like

WOO HOO!!
Those are some fine looking ribs my friend!
Great job!!
Al
Thanks, Al. Was really pleased with the color on these.

On another note, has anyone had any trouble when it comes to carving the ribs up? I'm thinking I will need a good brisket knife to cut these properly. I kept running into the bones as if they were not running in a "straight" direction. They seemed to really turn into each other. Never had that issue before.

On another note, has anyone had any trouble when it comes to carving the ribs up? I'm thinking I will need a good brisket knife to cut these properly. I kept running into the bones as if they were not running in a "straight" direction. They seemed to really turn into each other. Never had that issue before.

On spare ribs or STl's there is cartilage on one end & it seems to always be in the way. The easiest way I have found is to use an electric knife, or stand the ribs on end & slice downward, starting with the side where you can see the bone protruding. Then just follow the bone down to the other side following the contour of the bone. I use a real sharp, stiff boning knife. After a few tries you will get the hang of it.
Al

Reactions: daricksta
On spare ribs or STl's there is cartilage on one end & it seems to always be in the way. The easiest way I have found is to use an electric knife, or stand the ribs on end & slice downward, starting with the side where you can see the bone protruding. Then just follow the bone down to the other side following the contour of the bone. I use a real sharp, stiff boning knife. After a few tries you will get the hang of it.
Al
These were STL. Got through the cartilage no problem. The bones may have just been different than others I have done before. I like that vertical trick. Gonna try that for sure.

This is a great tip. I had that same problem with the cartilage with a rack of spareribs I grilled a month ago. I'm sticking with STL ribs from now on and will apply your method.

Just ran into this a few weeks ago...but mine was frozen when bought. I fully expect they got mashed into some thing or another when frozen, the bones all curved to one side in one rack, but not the other. Did make me pretty frustrated because you couldn't see where the heck the curves were and I had one rack that looked like a drunk man with a rock cut them apart.

Reactions: daricksta
Just ran into this a few weeks ago...but mine was frozen when bought. I fully expect they got mashed into some thing or another when frozen, the bones all curved to one side in one rack, but not the other. Did make me pretty frustrated because you couldn't see where the heck the curves were and I had one rack that looked like a drunk man with a rock cut them apart.

AHHH! That's exactly what must have happened. Didn't think of that.

AHHH! That's exactly what must have happened. Didn't think of that.
It was the only thing I could think of really. Or we have mutant pigs now. But it makes sense to me that with all the weight on them they likely got squished as they froze. I had some ribs darn near criss crossed at the bone tips.

Looks like you got it down. Congrats! ! It's a good feeling of acomplishment, for all the time you have put in.

I do the same as Al and cut them up on end side

I use a sharp boning knife to cut my ribs. Seems to get the job done well.

Im noticing a lot of ribs now days at the grocery store are a bit crooked. That is why I read that a lot of competition pitmasters have a butcher get them a select cut with straight bones.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl0wingsm0ke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky