getting started

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

irish1

Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
indianapolis
hello everyone! i jus t purchased a smokeinpit by brinkman. i want to smoke a picnic pork shoulder. should you put the shoulder in an aluminum pan?

Hi Irish1, Welcome! Ya donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have to, but alot of folks do (makes it easier to handle)! Also, ya might want to peel that rind off your shoulder, so the smoke can get in! But leave some of that fat cap on, and smoke it fat side down!:D

Welcome irish1. Glad to have you here. Don't forget to season that bad boy before your first smoke, and keep us posted on your first smoke! Again, welcome!!

Irish1, Welcome to SMF. Start out with your shoulder right on the smoke rack. Your shoulder will get the full benefit of the smoke. When the shoulder reaches 165*, it will hit the temp. plateau; it's at this stage that we normally wrap the shoulder in aluminum foil. You can put the shoulder in an aluminum foil pan and cover it with foil wrap and put it back into the smoker. When the shoulder reaches 190-200 degress, wrap the aluminum pan in some old towels and place it in a blanket lined cooler for a couple of hours (Don't worry, that shoulder will stay hot). When your ready, it should for the most part fall off the bone, except for one section which will require some chopping. Oh, and don't forget SoFlaQue's Finishing Sauce-a must have with shoulder or butts.

Enjoy!

All good advice. Please consider taking Jeff's 5-Day Course by email. Enjoy your new smoker.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Thanks I smoked it on friday and it was GOOD! Thanks for the advice im glad I got that smokeinpit!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky