Get together in Pa **** date has been set. Oct 6-8 ******

Discussion in 'Events' started by c farmer, Feb 7, 2017.

1. With all of this interest maybe we should do a hog roast! 🔥🐷

2. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit

A pig has been on my bucket list. Thumbs Up

3. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hmmmm...   I have no pig cooker.

4. Hey Farmer you got a pen to raise us a pig in?

5. c farmer

Not really.  I have 3 in my stock trailer until I can make room in the barn.

Show pigs. 

6. hardcookin

I could fit 120lB maybe 140 on my offset. So you have that as an option.

7. I have a pig cooker.

8. Let me know witch one to bring.

9. hardcookin

Nice Thumbs Up

10. halfsmoked

halfsmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]That would be awesome. You won't need to bring anything but yourself and your knowledge.

Warren

11. halfsmoked

[​IMG] Here pig, pig, pig, sooo weee.

If needed I have a local butcher I could probably got a pig from not sure how I could bring it and keep it cool I do have a large cooler.

I can see this  is going to be awesome time. Love the way its being talked up. I more or less started a thread know as possible gathering in Pa, Md, De. and NJ almost a year ago.

And thanks to C Farmer its going to fly.  [​IMG]

Warren

12. thebig1

thebig1 Smoking Fanatic

Oh man, a pig roast!!!  Now you guys are talking.  I wouldn't even bring my smoker, I'd just make the beans and bring them, a couple of sauces, and money to chip in on everything.

13. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Not looking burst any bubbles as pig roasts are spectacular to see and attend...But how many folks planning to come have had a pig roast??? I did 110 pound Hog for my oldest girls 1st Bday. 50 people stuffed themselves and there was A LOT of leftover pork. We are up to maybe 14-16 people and currently looking at multiple meats at each meal. We would have to do just a pig on Saturday, or try to get a tiny 20lb Suckling Pig, can be a challenge in the fall, and make only a few other meats, or skip the pig to get hands and mouths on more of a variety. Whole hog is a once or twice in a lifetime cook for most. But sausage, bacon, brisket, fatties and the like are made monthly. If between now and September, this turns into a much larger group, a pig roast becomes a great option to feed a crowd. Just something to consider this early on...JJ

14. thebig1

thebig1 Smoking Fanatic

Too late!  LOL

No seriously, that's a good point.

15. c farmer

Yea, I would rather do multiple meats and it looks like we are only at 6 people so far oh, counting spouses and kids?

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  16. halfsmoked

For sure a pig would be a lot of meat for the small group we have at this time even including Adams neighbors ( that's how you have a successful party you invite the neighbors)  [​IMG]

It would be fun to see how different ones prepare what the do and for sure if CB comes we are going to have to make some kind of sausage.

Warren

17. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]

Having done many pigs. IMO its is better to cook individual cuts of meat seperatley. When you cook whole hog your just getting pork cooked the same way...... Ribs will be mush and everything will taste the same.

Dont get me wrong, its fun to do and people like it, but its not the best way to go

My 2 cents

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  18. halfsmoked

Yup have to agree it just basically taste like pork not the flavor you get when you rub and smoke single pieces.

Warren

19. halfsmoked

Follow the NC gathering this weekend for some ideas. Being held at alelovers in NC.

OK C Farmer do I add your mac & cheese to the menu?

Warren

20. c farmer

Yes, add me for the mac n cheese.