GE Hotpoint Fridge / Freezer build?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KM0AGA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
I have a 1999, 20.5 cubic foot GE Hotpoint fridge / freezer. It was bought used about 15 years ago. It died and I got a wild hair up my rump to turn this thing into an electric smoker.

I started gutting it and discovered the entire inside is a one piece plastic shell (picture 1). The plastic is molded underneath the metal (picture 2). I tried removing a section of the plastic and I started to bend the metal around the door frame.

I still have not removed the compressor pieces. My belief is that if the plastic is removed, I can remove the compressor parts in one piece.

Any advice or assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 32
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 32
Missed this first go around

If you dug a little, probably discovered the plastic liner is spray foamed in place.

I have an old Westinghouse fridge with a metal liner. A I have done to date, is remove the compressor, condenser, evaporator and all the lines. Hoping to not find a lot of butyl sealant.

It is definitely spray foamed. I have stopped at the moment. Instead of a smoker, I think I want to use this as a food warmer. Can I leave the insulation in a cover with wood?

All food would be wrapped and covered.

I would just chuck the whole thing and start over with a clean cabinet.
Plastics are not predictable as they outgas for years.
There used to be an air refreshener for autos to give it the "new car" smell. It was a mix of the chemicals that outgas

Sounds like a plan. No loss for me.

I would just chuck the whole thing and start over with a clean cabinet.
Plastics are not predictable as they outgas for years.
There used to be an air refreshener for autos to give it the "new car" smell. It was a mix of the chemicals that outgas
I just saw a Master Built analog electric smoker at Walmart for $127.00. I could do that with an Ink Bird PID controller for less than $200.00.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I have no experience with a Masterbuilt (MB) electric smoker.
From what I read changing to a PID is one of the 2 mods required. The other is a better smoke generator.

I have a MB pellet grill/smoker/pooper. The structure side is fine, but the controller is a POS. I haven't decided if spending the money for a decent controller is better than simply getting a better grill

I am just going to use it as a food warmer to rest briskets, etc. for multiple hours.

I have a 1999, 20.5 cubic foot GE Hotpoint fridge / freezer. It was bought used about 15 years ago. It died and I got a wild hair up my rump to turn this thing into an electric smoker.

I started gutting it and discovered the entire inside is a one piece plastic shell (picture 1). The plastic is molded underneath the metal (picture 2). I tried removing a section of the plastic and I started to bend the metal around the door frame.

I still have not removed the compressor pieces. My belief is that if the plastic is removed, I can remove the compressor parts in one piece is hisense a good fridge brand.

Any advice or assistance is appreciated.
I'm after a fridge freezer for my first home!

budget is £350,I don't have a lot of space for one either so a slim one could be best!

any recommendations? Been looking at the Beko ones!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky