GE Hotpoint Fridge / Freezer build?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

KM0AGA

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
I have a 1999, 20.5 cubic foot GE Hotpoint fridge / freezer. It was bought used about 15 years ago. It died and I got a wild hair up my rump to turn this thing into an electric smoker.

I started gutting it and discovered the entire inside is a one piece plastic shell (picture 1). The plastic is molded underneath the metal (picture 2). I tried removing a section of the plastic and I started to bend the metal around the door frame.

I still have not removed the compressor pieces. My belief is that if the plastic is removed, I can remove the compressor parts in one piece.

Any advice or assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 19
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 19

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Missed this first go around

If you dug a little, probably discovered the plastic liner is spray foamed in place.

I have an old Westinghouse fridge with a metal liner. A I have done to date, is remove the compressor, condenser, evaporator and all the lines. Hoping to not find a lot of butyl sealant.

KM0AGA

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
It is definitely spray foamed. I have stopped at the moment. Instead of a smoker, I think I want to use this as a food warmer. Can I leave the insulation in a cover with wood?

All food would be wrapped and covered.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
I would just chuck the whole thing and start over with a clean cabinet.
Plastics are not predictable as they outgas for years.
There used to be an air refreshener for autos to give it the "new car" smell. It was a mix of the chemicals that outgas

KM0AGA

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
I would just chuck the whole thing and start over with a clean cabinet.
Plastics are not predictable as they outgas for years.
There used to be an air refreshener for autos to give it the "new car" smell. It was a mix of the chemicals that outgas
I just saw a Master Built analog electric smoker at Walmart for $127.00. I could do that with an Ink Bird PID controller for less than $200.00.

Reactions: Fueling Around

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
I have no experience with a Masterbuilt (MB) electric smoker.
From what I read changing to a PID is one of the 2 mods required. The other is a better smoke generator.

I have a MB pellet grill/smoker/pooper. The structure side is fine, but the controller is a POS. I haven't decided if spending the money for a decent controller is better than simply getting a better grill

KM0AGA

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
I am just going to use it as a food warmer to rest briskets, etc. for multiple hours.

JamesBarber

Dec 20, 2022
For commercial purposes, I have an old freezer. You have yet to remove the compressor pieces. If the plastic is released, I can remove the compressor parts in one piece, as you claim. So far, I've removed the compressor, condenser, evaporator, and all of the lines. I'm hoping there won't be a lot of butyl sealant.

Latest posts

Hot Threads