G'day from Australia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gerd

Original poster
G'day mates,

well, I am not new to smoking (a pipe) but very new to smoking meats. Just the other week I got a LPG (liquid petrol gas) hot smoker and on the spot bought a whole Salmon. Was some experience to fillet it, never done it before. Half of it was consumed on the spot by my two 1 1/2 year old grand daughters (fried of course - not the grand kids though) and their parents and us two oldies. The rest was further prepared for smoking. Dry cure for 6 hours: 1 part salt, 4 parts brown sugar and as many cloves of garlic as parts of sugar.

Drying another six hours at room temperature plus another six in the fridge (was too late in the night to start the smoker). Next morning fired up the smoker. Discovered that I could not regulate it to the recommended low tempearture of 200 F. Lowest I could do was 280 F. So I reduced the smoking time to 2 1/2 hours. Result: Why did I not start smoking (I mean meat and fish) earlier and not wait until I am a retiree? The best hot smoked salmon I ever had.

I am hooked!

Cheers, Gerd

Welcome to SMF Gerd sounds like your off to a good start. You will find lots of good advice and friendship here. Looking forward to some pictures of your smokes.

Hi Gerd. I grew up a little west of you (near Roma). Like you, I burnt a bunch of chops and bangers before retiring here (South Carolina) and discovering smoking. You will find a lot of good information on this site.

I recently visited Brisbane to meet up with siblings. Couldn't get over how much it has changed since I worked there in the early sixties.

hello, and welcome to the SMF. It's never too late to start enjoying another benefit of the great outdoors. It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Gerd to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction      

Welcome Gerd, It sounds like you are off to a great start. As said in earlier post,This is a great site and their are a ton on helpful people here. If you have any questions feel free to post them their is always someone that will know a little something about it. Shoneyboy....

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to the forum.  Glad to have you aboard.

Hi Pete,

so, you are a Roma-nian. After about ten years of draught and water restricions, this year your home turf, like the rest of eastern Australia finally got rain. Well, you would have got very wet feet when walking down the main street. La nina, the good girl, has soaked our land to extreme. Wivenhoe dam near Brisi has not overfload for jonks. This year, they had to open the fload gates two times. Supposedly that should ave Brisbane from a flood like the one in 1974 where you could have had a regatta down George Street. We don't need a cylone like the one then.

Yes, Brisbane has changed. When we came here in 1978 it still looked like my old home Germany in 1948 (minus the bomed out houses). Life closed down over the week end. City streets were deserted. We arrived here with two small kids. One of the first Sundays we tried an outing in town: no open cafe or restaurant, no public toilet (important when you move around with littelies).

I am not sure what General McArthur and his troops would have thought about Brisi when they were stationed here in WWII (back water of the backest water there is).

Now Brisi is a buzzling great city with all the advantages and disadvanteges you find in big cities: full of life and extremely full parking space, grid-lock and over doing parking inspectors.

I rarely go to town nowadays: too much people, not enough space to wave your arms, too much stench from car exhausts, .... You name it.

Here in Samford, some 25 km west of Brisi, we still have clear air, space and plenty of wild life. Love it here.

Cheers, Gerd

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky