Gas smoker conversion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sizzlnchef

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
somerset pa
Hi. I have a gas smoker(upright). Yesterday the gas element pretty much fell off the bottom. Due to rust and corrosion. I dont have the money to buy a new gas smoker right now was wondering if I could use mine converted to a charcoal smoker. There is a big hole on the bottom where the gas element was. Would this be used for draw or should I cover it up? Was thinking of using aluminum pan for charcoal and wood would this work? Thanks for the help!!!

If you have vents in the side of the smoker I would just put a piece of metal over the hole and use a metal pan inside to hold your fuel source.

I would try it just make sure you vents on the side are open so it can breathe.    I have seen folks use those inexpensive aluminum trays to hold charcoal before,   you may have to double them up for strength and they probably are use once and throw away.

Don't throw your old parts away.   You can use them for a home built unit. 

What if I dont have side vents on my smoker? Drill some holes on sides? Could I buy a side offset smoker box?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky