1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Garlic powder

Discussion in 'Root Crops' started by dave17a, Nov 23, 2018.

1. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Well decided to make some powder this year. Second year of growing garlic. Got next crop in ground, looked like all rooted, will shoot some leaves up a few inches. Anywho, got 1.8oz. of wet garlic, before dehydrated.
    . What a pain skinnin'n. Sliced bigger cloves. Sorry no pics of wet stuff. Put in dehydrater 12 hrs or so. Dont have any temp settings, just turn it on. Cheapie. had a few bigger ones took a little longer.
    Ended up with.68 oz. after dried. lost a little over half its weight. All ground up and packed. much better than store stuff.
    Thanks

ironhorse07 likes this.
  2. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

We grow garlic but have not tried drying and grinding yet. I plant as close to Halloween as possible and cover with 3-4 inches of straw. I don't see any sprouts above ground till Spring. Usually ready for harvest in late July. This year we planted "Music" and "Incheleum Red" varieties.

3. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Maybe the home grown acts different , but the store bought I lay the cloves on a cutting board , and smash with the side if a french knife . Skin comes right off .

4. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

I seen a video where they put the cloves in a container with a lid and shook the hell out of it and skins were off.