• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Game On!

brettp

Joined May 7, 2007
Ok, so the first smoke began about an hour ago and I've been playing with temperature every five minutes. I'm just going to leave things alone and deal with the temp swings as they come. Pics of the turkey every hour.

crewdawg52

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2007
Good luck to ya. Fired the new WSM up and the brisket (first one for me) went on at 0700. Got temp swings too. Using the Minion method. Hoping things settle down.

brettp

Joined May 7, 2007
Ok, here we are at one hour. It looks really good to me. There's a lot more color on it than I expected at this point. Temp is now hovering right around 230 consistently.

brettp

Joined May 7, 2007
Two hours now. Just basted again with Apple juice. Internal temp in the breast is 130. When should I need to add more coals?

brettp

Joined May 7, 2007
How Goes the brisket, Geoff?
Turkey is now at 140 in the breast. Looking very good. Pics are all the same, no need for more.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Looking good Brett!

Not to be snide but you add more coals when there close to being gone.

BTW Turkeys and chickens can be done at higher temps they really down gain anythng by cooking slow. Nothing to break down they're already tender.

teacup13

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 22, 2007
very very nice color you have going on there....

as was said, poulty can be done at a little higher temp, so dont be afraid to add some more heat to it.... if you want to crisp it up, take out the water pan(if using one) b4 its done...nice crispy skin that way

brettp

Joined May 7, 2007
Hey Guys
The turkey came out unbelievable. It was the most tender, juicy turkey I have ever eaten. Everyone there said the same thing too. Thanks for all of your help here. I was a little on edge about doing this but ot was easier than I expected and I can't wait to so something else.
I'll try to post some pics of the finished product later today.

tonto1117

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2007
Congrats Brett....it sure does look drooling good!!!
So whatcha gonna do next???

brettp

Joined May 7, 2007
Here's the final pic. Posting this as I eat the best turkey sandwich ever. Onto the Boston Butt?

teacup13

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 22, 2007
looks very very tasty

and smoking a boston butt would be a good choice, they are very forgiving like a turkey is, temps just need to be lower is all

you did a good job on that turkey

tonto1117

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2007
.........only kidding. That looks absoulutley delicious Brett.

t-bone tim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 24, 2007
Oh Man ...does that look Goooooooooood .....slurp drool wipe ,gonna have to get me a turkey

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 5, 2007
good lookin' bird. not really sure what this minion method is & i only poke the meat once @ the end w/ a thermo to check doneness temp. i usually just go w/ the years of exp. & times i've cooked that meal- usually i just watch the smoke to tell me when to be done - i guess it's a rythym thing or talent... i want some more "kitchen math" but that may just screw up my "feel"... maybe someone can explain more of the science to me ... if this all made sense

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
Haven't done a turkey in a while ..just might do one soon ... yours looks great

crewdawg52

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2007
Darn good looking bird you "had" there Brett. Makes me wanna do a yardbird today!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.