Game Day Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
I’m going to be smoking a pork butt tomorrow for game day. I’m expecting a couple of great games. I’ve got this 7 1/2 pound Boston butt.
82AB1D00-AAEC-4E21-ACA1-21676BC2986F.jpeg
I’m going to try rubbing it with this Pit Boss rub that I picked up today at Walmart.
2C61B7C1-D910-4BB5-9464-A5C678F9D4F3.jpeg
This will be my first low and slow on the Weber Kettle. I plan on using a snake along with my vortex which will be inverted. I’ll do pictures as I go tomorrow. It’s been months since my last pork butt so I’m really looking forward to this. My wife is going to make her famous baked beans and macaroni salad. There will be coleslaw for the sandwiches and we will be using hamburger buns for the sandwiches as well. Enjoy your evening everyone and let’s all hope for some excellent football tomorrow.
G

After being sick all week my wife and I are having no company tomorrow, don't want to chance spreading the germs. We're just going to do hipshot burgers on the Weber, homemade buns and fries. Go Niners! RAY

A man with a plan. Make sure to give us the play-by-play.

Chris

Let me know how you like that rub. Wife got a bunch of different ones for me for Christmas and thats one of them. I haven't got a chance to try it out yet.

Yum love pulled pork! Maybe because there one sitting on my smoker at the moment!!

I’ve seen that rub so will be interested to hear how it tastes as well.....I do like the other pit boss rubs I’ve tried though!

So it’s been a rocky start. I pushed ahead and dropped my butt on the kettle. The only problem is that my snake is struggling to get me anything near 250. That would be my target temp. Since this is such a large piece of meat that I am relying on my target temp for, I might scrap the snake for today and switch to use a charcoal basket for my indirect heat. It might be higher maintenance but at least I know I can get what I need from that setup. I did a 2x2 snake but perhaps I didn’t stack them just right. There are some Santa Ana winds blowing but if anything I would have thought that would make it burn hotter. Anyway, here are my pics so far. Prep to fire.
9EE0A30D-A441-4ADD-A270-087F02B7125D.jpeg 1C899107-639D-46DE-8208-85905B89ECA4.jpeg CDA78F04-677B-4E18-920E-94BFCD03E7AF.jpeg

I do butts on my offset at 275º and don't much worry about going a little higher, they are pretty forgiving. With the cook time for that hunk of butt and what it'll need to rest you most likely need to get movin'. Tick-tock! RAY

It looks like you only have 4 partially lit coals. Get a few more going and open your vents up a bit.

Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I’m going to come back to the snake another time. It really wasn’t burning efficiently. I’m pretty sure I didn’t set it up right. I have switched to the charcoal basket and the temp is coming up nicely now.

Chris the vents were wide open and I started with ten lit coals. The snake wasn’t catching evenly for some reason. I know you are one of the experts with your kettle so I trust your advice. I just want to be sure that we eat today lol.

I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress.
G

Last edited:
I’m going to come back to the snake another time. It really wasn’t burning efficiently. I’m pretty sure I didn’t set it up right. I have switched to the charcoal basket and the temp is coming up nicely now.

Chris the vents were wide open and I started with ten lit coals. The snake wasn’t catching evenly for some reason. I know you are one of the experts with your kettle so I trust your advice. I just want to be sure that we eat today lol.

I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress.
G

I don't blame you at all for switching to the baskets, and wanting to eat today. I would have done the same thing given the situation. When you try it again give us a heads up, so we can figure this thing out. In the meantime enjoy your pork butt and the games.

Point for sure
Chris

Okay all,

here is my final results post. First thing for those of you that asked about the sweet heat rub from Pit Boss. I declare it a definite winner. Both my wife and I loved it. There isn’t a lot of heat but it is there as an after effect. We will be stocking up on this one. So next, this was the best pulled pork I have ever made and have ever eaten. This is not me trying to boast. It’s just a fact. It was beyond moist and tender. Succulent is the only word that comes to mind that describe the taste and texture. Who would have thought that the Weber Kettle could ever outperform my offset? I’m so sold on this. The extra benefit is how little charcoal I had to use. Maybe half a bag for around 8 1/2 hours. Here are my final pics.
2460BA40-EFA6-4369-A9CF-9C042DC7158F.jpeg 8542942D-DC3D-49B1-AD60-CAA7FC5EC46F.jpeg BF4DBD9A-C04E-4562-B681-61E78DC77904.jpeg
Look at all that juice. I drained it off for reheating. Sorry I couldn’t wait to taste it before the picture. My wife made the beans and macaroni salad. A meal fit for a queen.

What a great day of barbecue and football. Green Bay didn’t put up nearly as much of a fight as I had expected. Kansas City was just on fire. I’m looking forward to the Super Bowl for the first time in a long time. Ribs and chicken wings will be the main course at castle N for the big game. Have a great evening. For those that get MLK day off enjoy your longer weekend.
G

RS, That is some fine PP, nice job! I'm a lifelong Packers fan and I'm not sure were their profits go but it certainly isn't into player recruitment! :) Like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky