Gaining Confidence!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Javaaman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Port St Lucie, FL
Second go-round with ribs. Tried St. Louis this time instead of baby backs. Two racks, one wrapped after 5 hrs, left the other one "naked". The wrapped rib (one hr) had Parkay, brown sugar and honey. Uncovered the wrapped rib and let both finish off for about a half hour (did cover both with brown sugar and additional honey).
Should have mentioned sooner - my rack had Sassy Q rub. Second rack (for my very critical B-I-L) was very lightly seasoned. Sprayed both with water, apple juice and worchestshire sauce every hour.
Bottom line - both racks came great! (Last time the "wrapped" time was two hrs. - too mushy. One hr. definitely better!).
Confidence now to try a brisket next week. Problem is, it's only my wife and I (don't want my in-laws back - LOL!!) want to use a "packer cut brisket". Seems that this particular cut is 8-12 lbs. A bit much for two.
Are they available in smaller sizes?

Reactions: Traeger.Rage.BBQ
I see flats pretty regular but have yet to cook 1,very little fat on them so have to watch internal temps pretty close,going to pick 1 up and try soon.

Put your equipment into your tag line and folks can see what smoker you are using and may have tips,lotta great info is offered that will make learning new equipment easier

Fantastic Cook! Pics or Ban... HAHAHA...

But seriously, show us your labors!

A lot of folks here buy the packer that is closest to their desired size then trim and adjust the brisket for uniformity. Meaning you can trim it down to make it a more suitable size for just the two of you. I often way over cook as I travel for work. So we vacuum seal the brisket, pulled pork and whatnot so that my Bride is able to have whatever protein she wishes done exactly how she wants it.

Many of those that trim make brisket burger meat as they trim the brisket down to the desired proportions.

I do realize both of the these sggestions require additional equipment. Hoping this is allowing you to see it from perhaps a new angle.

Pat

Last edited:
I would go with a full packer, & bag the leftovers in portion sized bags.
Vacuum & freeze, brisket reheats very well.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky