Full Packer / Burnt ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
I have smoked a few packers and have made burnt ends a few times

from the points.

my Question is .Can you make some good burnt ends out of the flat??

The wife loves the burnt ends as much as i do and i was thinking of smoking a packer and cutting up the whole thing for burnt ends

Anyone tried this yet and how did it come out???

I know exactly where you're coming from, brother. We would eat burnt ends and nothing but burnt ends if I knew I could makle them from the flat. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately, and heres why:

My understanding of why the point makes such a juicy and savory cut to transform into burnt ends is that all the inter-musclular fats and connective tissues become melted together inside the meat, and if proper technique is utilized, these stay in the meat. If done correctly, burnt ends still contain many of the connective tissues and some of the fat and this is what give them the texture you have grown to love.

The muscle fibers of the flat and point are different. If I understand the cuts correctly, the point is more of a tubular muscle fiber, while the flat has finer stranded muscle fibers. The tubular muscle fibers have the most inter-muscular fat content, but also contain more collogens, which is where the natural gelatins are derived from. These gelatins are what makes the texture of the point most unique, giving it the soft, moist and chewy texture.

The flat will not give the same results, and could easily become dry and leathery if a very humid cooking environment was not used. Also, I believe that with the extended cooking time for the second smoke after dicing and reseasoning, the flat cut may take on a very grainy, mealy texture. I have never tried to actually make burnt ends from the flat, but this is what I understand about the two muscle types.

Eric

Forluvofsmoke said it right. It is the fat content of the point that makes burnt ends what they are.

I like to call them meat flavored butter!

I wish I could buy points only sometimes. I will have to do some inquiries at some local butcher shops to see if that is possible. Unfortunately, the only points I have seen so far have been corned beef points.

I can buy just the points but they want the same price as the flat and that's

allmost twice the price per lb of a packer

I can buy just the points but they want the same price as the flat and that's

allmost twice the price per lb of a packer
I rarely see anything but packers or flats around my area, and the occassional corned point which I've never purchased...(I cure my own corned beef for pastrami). But for the cost being nearly double what a packer is, considered you don't have any fat cap to remove (or pay for), and some saved smoking time, fuel etc, I would buy points for $3.50-$4.00lb while I can get packers for $1.98-$2.19/lb. All things considered, it seems like a fair price to me.

Eric

Forluvofsmoke said it right. It is the fat content of the point that makes burnt ends what they are.

I like to call them meat flavored butter!

I wish I could buy points only sometimes. I will have to do some inquiries at some local butcher shops to see if that is possible. Unfortunately, the only points I have seen so far have been corned beef points.
A butcher should be able to do that, hopefully for a decent price.

It would be my guess that a bigger percentage of people would want the flat---Leaving a lot of points laying around.

Don't see why they have to make them all into corned beef.

Be nice if you knew somebody in your area who pays the high price for the flats. Then you could buy the full packer (cheap) & split it with him.

Bear

icon_cool.gif

I too really like burnt ends but I'm the only one I think. I haven't seen just a point in any of the stores around here. I wish I could thou. Now didn't someone here used to smoke the whole brisket for burnt ends. I know that the flat doesn't have that fat content that the point does but if it all ready at 205°ish or so. It's already really tender so if you douse it with some sauce wouldn't it get more tender like the point does???

icon_cool.gif

I too really like burnt ends but I'm the only one I think. I haven't seen just a point in any of the stores around here. I wish I could thou. Now didn't someone here used to smoke the whole brisket for burnt ends. I know that the flat doesn't have that fat content that the point does but if it all ready at 205°ish or so. It's already really tender so if you douse it with some sauce wouldn't it get more tender like the point does???
Mark ,

I thought i'd seen that post also, Have to do some research.

I talked to a cutter yesterday and he said that they seperate and trim all the flats they sell from packers. Asked why i never see the points out for sale and he told me they don't sell so they usually get ground.

Asked him If they grind them for ground beef then why can't i get them for ground beef prices and it saves him the labor of grinding them and that i'd buy them 10 at a time?

He said he'd ask the meat mgr?

I would imagine if you wanted to make burnt ends out of the entire brisket you could. The consistancy might not be quite the same on the flat portions, but since they cook to a nice tender consistancy I bet they would still be delicious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky