Fuel mix for UDS...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PaulLiverpool

Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Hey folks, I'm a UK smoker with my first cook coming up this week. I've experienced a few problems with bbq's in the past...

1) Fuel size. I've preferred lumpwood to briquettes as I find the latter to smell horrible, but some brands of lumpwood have loads of tiny pieces and they fall straight through the holes in the basket. Any preferred brands?

2) Fuel types. Do you recommend charcoal and wood chunk mix?

3) How the hell do I use my charcoal starter properly?!

Thanks in advance x

Attachments

• IMG_20180728_220817.jpg
    IMG_20180728_220817.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 37
Ive always used kingsford original briquettes with my UDS. Havent tried to use lump because ive heard fire management is best with this particular briquettes. I havent had any bad flavors. My method is fill the basket and mix in smoking wood chunks. Then light a starter cube in the middle of the basket and let it slowly burn. Another method would be to light 5 or so coals in a starter or with a torch. Then place in the middle

Aussie Heat Beads are the Bricketts to go for.

If using Charcoal (or Bricketts) you do not need a mix. Just one to two wood chunks is sufficient.

65C1E2C3-C7F1-462A-B4A9-A32DFE21D0BE.jpeg

I use a little camping lpg stove to start my Charcoal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky