Frustration with lack of smoke ring and muted smoke flavor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boblloyd91

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Lynndyl, UT
So I am trying to figure out why sometimes I can make a cut of meat and it have a beautiful ring and a good flavor to it, whereas other times it seems like I do the exact same things but the meat is not up to the standards I want it to be. I smoked a pork loin today using applewood, and had it going for about 7-8 hours. When I got it out the meat was done, however I saw no real noticeable smoke ring and I could detect very little smoke flavor even though I was putting decent amounts of wood on at regular intervals. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what could interfere with developing a good smoke ring or good smoke flavor.

First the smoke ring. The loin is a lighter colored meat which means it has less myoglobin to react with the NO2 in the smoke to create the smoke ring. The darker the meat the more myoglobin, thus beef will have a dark heavy smoke ring and chicken breast will very little.

The lack of smoke flavor and smell is most likely because you have been over exposed to the smoke while tending the pit and have become "nose blind" to it. Since the sense of taste is linked to your sense of smell, you are having a hard time detecting the smoke flavor. This is a common problem, I experience it all the time. Perhaps the best solution is to shower and change clothes before dinner to get rid of the smoke that your clothes and hair have absorbed.

Last edited:
Reactions: boblloyd91

First the smoke ring. The loin is a lighter colored meat which means it has less myoglobin to react with the NO2 in the smoke to create the smoke ring. The darker the meat the more myoglobin, thus beef will have a dark heavy smoke ring and chicken breast will very little.

The lack of smoke flavor and smell is most likely because you have been over exposed to the smoke while tending the pit and have become "nose blind" to it. Since the sense of taste is linked to your sense of smell, you are having a hard time detecting the smoke flavor. This is a common problem, I experience it all the time. Perhaps the best solution is to shower and change clothes before dinner to get rid of the smoke that your clothes and hair have absorbed.
And THAT'S why you are OTBS!...Great answer...
icon14.gif
...JJ

That, I think, is one of the big reasons I always think PP tastes better the 2nd day.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky