Fruit Woods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
Fruit woods are scarce and expensive around here. I have found an online source to buy wood in bulk at a reasonable price. Post Oak and Cherry wood are favorites and would be my first choices to purchase.

I was thinking of trying Peach and Apricot and was wondering if anyone else used these woods.

I live in a fruit-growing region and have tried several different fruitwoods. They are milder tasting than oak. Cherry adds some color. Someone with a more discerning set of tastebuds could chime in, but I didn't notice any taste difference between the stone fruit woods (peach, apricot, plum, etc) and the pome fruits (apples, pears). Consequently, I keep cherry and apple stocked because I can get it easiest.

Reactions: whistlepig
i've smoked with peach when I prune my tree, it's a light tasting smoke in my opinion sort of like apple. hickory is my favorite.

I use apple when I have trimmings from our tree. Otherwise for fruit wood I use mulberry, I swear if a bird poops a mulberry tree starts growing. But then again it does make a good wine

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky