Fruit in the Cavety :-)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bonedadddy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Raymore, MO
Hello everyone,

I have a pretty big turkey I am smoking on Sat for both of my son's birthdays. The bird is around 18# which is pretty big for smoking from what I have been reading.

I plan on smoking it at 300-325 to be on the safe side (and for some nice crisp skin). I am going to brine and inject. I have never injected before...and am wondering when and where to inject? The obvious choice is the breasts and the thighs, but didnt know if there were tricks to the trade that anyone could share.

Also, I was thinking about putting some fruit in the cavety (to help with the moisture...not for eating...), but didnt know if that would cause the temps to do anything strange...

Its great to be out smoking again!!! Its been a little cold, rainy, snowy and icy these last few weeks in the midwest!

Thanks,

18#? I wouldn't stuff it with anything, that bird is already big enough. Truthfully I don't know if that is a bit too big. To cook it through you may have to go for a very long time and risk drying it out.
Personally I don't inject if I am bringing. That is my personal preference and not sure how others feel about it but it may be unnecessary, unless you are going for a deep flavor injection.
I know it wasn't a lot of help but I'm sure more people with even more knowledge about smoking a big bird will be along shortly to help out more.

Have you thought about removing the wings and legs? That would definitely cut down on the cook time.

No matter how you do it I hope we can see some nice Qview.
Good luck.

I grill smoked a stuffed 23 pound turkey two thanksgivings ago on my WSM.I have cooked 340-360 degree last 20 or so big birds and they are fine.I usually figure 14 minutes per pound stuffed.I put a compound butter -sage and tyme mixed with butter- under skin and rub skin with olive oil.Even if they have pop thermometer begin checking internal 18poundsx14 minutes=4 hours 12 minutes or check at 4 hours.Plan on resting minimum 20 minutes.A Member added bacon to cavity awhile back- but i stuff my birds.Consistent temps is the key.As bird loses water and begins to really cook -watch grill for hot temp spikes.Good luck-i love pecan smoke and turkey.

Awesome, thanks for your input. I looked at the bird again last night, and it is actually 14#'s...so I might be ok.

I will try the butter/sage mixture. That sounds good. I bought 2 oranges and 2 apples to stuff into cavety.

I will post Q on Sat when I am done.

I think your on the right track with this. My Dad has been cooking our Thanksgiving Day turkey on his gas grill (low and slow) using a combination of oranges, lemons and fresh herbs for a couple of years now and it it some of the juiciest and most flavorful turkey I have ever ate. Let us know how it turns out!!

I have put orange slices in the cavity of a chicken when smoking. I don't see any reason not to put a few into the cavity of a turkey. I didn't stuff it full. Just a few slices on the inside. I also used the juice of an orange in the brine.

Wow, I may have to run back up to the store and get a grapefruit and some lemons, instead of the apples. Must be the acidity that works so well with poultry (if anyone has the science on this...I would love to know...may have to google that one)

I have heard of rubbing the butter inside the skin. I think I will try that too.

The good thing is I have another 14#er in the freezer (the after thanksgiving sales last year) to try out some of the other ideas being posted!!!

Now I am getting hungry...hehe

Thanks for the input everyone...its why I post on this forum!

Last Thanksgiving we went to a friends house and they put bacon under the skin. Turkey was really moist and had great flavor. You know what they say, pork fat rules!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky