Frozen Beef Plate Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chrisacutler

Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
I've got two sets of ribs that are frozen. What's the best way to thaw them? Can I smoke them from frozen given it will take more time?

Put them in the fridge 2-3 days before your smoke. Should be GTG. 👍
That was my original thought. Bought them from Costco and one the way home one of the cryos got a puncture and I had to freeze immediately.

If You have a vacuum sealer just reseal the ribs in the original packaging & freeze them. They will be fine. I don’t completely agree with kilo Charlie, I have put many pieces of meat that were not fully thawed in the smoker, but if they are frozen solid then I agree with him.
Al

There's a huge difference between putting say.. meatballs stuffed with cheese and partially frozen in the smoker vs putting a rack of frozen ribs in the smoker.

Food Safety should ALWAYS trump convenience.

Just wondering if there is any quality loss when smoking frozen beef plate ribs (thawed of course).

I love beef plate ribs and if there is no discernible quality loss I might as well buy some and keep them in my freezer.

Just wondering if there is any quality loss when smoking frozen beef plate ribs (thawed of course).
I love beef plate ribs and if there is no discernible quality loss I might as well buy some and keep them in my freezer.
Ideally the meat should freeze rapidly. Otherwise you get large ice crystals in the meat, which can disrupt cell membranes and allow juices to escape. So you're better off if you can find meat that was flash frozen at the processing plant.
But most all of us have frozen meat in our home freezers without much loss of quality. Just don't try to freeze too much at one time. And a chest freezer is better than the frost-free refrigerator freezers.

Reactions: Stapler1234
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky