Frijoles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Frijoles my way.
Yes you can do 2 lbs.
I have 2 lbs soaking right now.

4 lbs dried pinto beans
2 large yellow onions chopped
10 cloves garlic minced
3 to 4 smoked pork hocks
1/2 cup lard preferably pork lard
2 Tbls ground cumin
1 Tbls garlic powder
1 Tbls onion powder
1 Tbls crushed red pepper
1 Tbls freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbls ground dried chipotle powder
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
The juice off a jar of pickled jalapeños

Soak the beans overnight or use the quick soak method, I prefer overnight.

In a large pot, melt the lard over medium low heat, add the onion and a pinch of kosher salt. To much salt early and the beans can come out tough. Sauté until the onions are starting to become translucent about ten minutes.

Add the garlic and all dried spices and sauté a minute or two, just enough for the garlic to become fragrant and the spices to bloom.

Add the hocks, jalapeño juice, beans and enough water to cover the top of the beans by two inches. Bring to a boil.

With the lid ajar so liquid condenses, simmer for about three hours stirring from the bottom occasionally.

At this time I remove the hocks and after they have cooled, shred any useable meat from them, it won’t be much. Chop finely and add back to the pot. Simmer on low for another one to two hours. If the beans are a little soupy, take out a few cups of beans and liquid and whirl in a blender, then add them back to the pan.

If the beans are a little soupy, take out a few cups of beans and liquid and whirl in a blender, then add them back to the pan.
Mashing about 1/3 to half the beans, even just slightly, brings the bean flavor through. It’s an important step. This coming from a guy who wouldn’t be here today if I hadn’t ate the beans.

Hey i googled but didn't see anything. What's the difference between refried and Frijoles ?
Yes, lard is good. Or bacon grease too for extra flavor.
Simply place roughly one to two tablespoons of fat per cup of whole cooked beans into a pan and mash them up, lumpy or smooth and let cook to desired consistency.
I like mine thick with lots of half mashed beans.

Reactions: negolien
Frijoles my way.
Yes you can do 2 lbs.
I have 2 lbs soaking right now.

4 lbs dried pinto beans
2 large yellow onions chopped
10 cloves garlic minced
3 to 4 smoked pork hocks
1/2 cup lard preferably pork lard
2 Tbls ground cumin
1 Tbls garlic powder
1 Tbls onion powder
1 Tbls crushed red pepper
1 Tbls freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbls ground dried chipotle powder
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
The juice off a jar of pickled jalapeños

Soak the beans overnight or use the quick soak method, I prefer overnight.

In a large pot, melt the lard over medium low heat, add the onion and a pinch of kosher salt. To much salt early and the beans can come out tough. Sauté until the onions are starting to become translucent about ten minutes.

Add the garlic and all dried spices and sauté a minute or two, just enough for the garlic to become fragrant and the spices to bloom.

Add the hocks, jalapeño juice, beans and enough water to cover the top of the beans by two inches. Bring to a boil.

With the lid ajar so liquid condenses, simmer for about three hours stirring from the bottom occasionally.

At this time I remove the hocks and after they have cooled, shred any useable meat from them, it won’t be much. Chop finely and add back to the pot. Simmer on low for another one to two hours. If the beans are a little soupy, take out a few cups of beans and liquid and whirl in a blender, then add them back to the pan.
Sounds good to me, yum!
I love beans and they love me back, Pintos and Black beans are great food for diabetics.

I'll share some of mine with you,
Frijoles Refritos / Refried Beans
Frijoles Rancho / Charro / Barracho
Frijoles Negro Charro / Cowboy Black Beans

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky