Fried turkey, basket or spindle?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Fried turkey again this year. My fryer has both the basket, as well as the spindle to slide through the turkey. I've always done it with the spindle, it seems like using the basket would be easier to handle. Is there something I'm missing? Should I not use the basket? I have heat proof gloves to handle the turkey when it comes out, the same ones I use with brisket in the smoker. Thank you in advance.

Great question!
I've only even seen the spindle used but I'm curious to the answer now too

I used to deep fry a dozen turkeys on four different burners for a company function every year. My SS fryer came with the basket, the others used the spindle. I preferred mine, can also be used for taters and game hens. RAY

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky