Fried Cabbage and Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Sowsage Sowsage posted some delicious looking cabbage and bacon awhile back. Ever since then I have had the munchies for it. Yesterday at my favorite Amish market they had whole heads of cabbage for $0.49 a piece. Couldn't pass that up especially since I just finished off a new batch of bacon.

Diced up the last lbs. of belly bacon I found in the freezer yesterday and about a half pound of bacon ends from my new run of buckboard.
bacon in pan.jpg

Adding some onions, gotta have onions right?

adding onions to bacon.jpg

Time to add a nice big head of cabbage cut up in bite size pieces. Added it to all the bacon , onions and bacon grease, also added some salt, coarse pepper and red pepper flake to taste.
adding cabbage.jpg

All finished up just in time for my wife getting home from work. I took the day off after being at a football game and drive home until 3am. Had to try a taste and its pretty good. I think later I will give it a go with eggs like Sowsage did in his post.

finished cabbage and bacon.jpg

thanks for looking!, nothing fancy here but sometimes simple food hits the spot!

Perfect for my keto diet
Hey cool, We have been on keto since last April. All my cooks fit it. I make my own rubs for it as well. Check out my post of the German Fauxtato Salad w/ homemade bratwurst patties on Swiss and rye chaffles. :) all keto

Hey cool, We have been on keto since last April. All my cooks fit it. I make my own rubs for it as well. Check out my post of the German Fauxtato Salad w/ homemade bratwurst patties on Swiss and rye chaffles. :) all keto

Yeah I was just looking at that, we just got a waffle maker yesterday to try chaffles

Reactions: jcam222
I'm sure that was great. We are having a quick version of Halushki Saturday night. Fried Cabbage and Onions with Bow Tie Pasta. Not Keto Friendly but a family favorite for generations...JJ

Looks good. I haven't made that for a while. I think I know what's for dinner tomorrow.

Thanks for the inspiration.

IMG_0163.JPG

I decided to go the smoked sausage route. Turned out awesome!

cabbage
smoked sausage
sweet onion
splash of red wine vinegar
couple pinches of sugar
a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
red pepper flakes
black pepper
a little chicken broth

Thanks for the inspiration.

View attachment 411792

I decided to go the smoked sausage route. Turned out awesome!

cabbage
smoked sausage
sweet onion
splash of red wine vinegar
couple pinches of sugar
a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
red pepper flakes
black pepper
a little chicken broth
Looks great!! Smoked sausage is awesome with it. I’m thinking about trying it with crumbled breakfast sausage next.

Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky