Friday night dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
Wife is away so I can do things I normally wouldn't be able to do. She does not like chicken, and I do so I have to wait for these opportunities
I am in the process of learning how to operate in a new pellet grill situation, trying to figure out how to get what I want. I have been instructed by the grill manufacturer to smoke at 150° to get the most smoke. I have learned that as the smoker changes temperature it generates more useful smoke.

So I made chicken drumsticks for dinner on Pecan. Let them smoke for 2 hrs at 150° to get some smoke flavor. Then increased the temp to 200, 250, and 300, for 15 minutes each then went to 375 until IT was 170° when I pulled them. Very moist and very tasty, first time using pican..

PXL_20220625_042238861.jpg
Tried to do a cut shot, not too sure.
PXL_20220625_043232901.jpg

What pellet grill are you using?
The GMG Ledge, this will be the 4th cook on the device. All of them have been without the app, haven't tried to learn how to hot start. It seems strange that I have to unplug the thing several times during a cook.

The GMG Ledge, this will be the 4th cook on the device. All of them have been without the app, haven't tried to learn how to hot start. It seems strange that I have to unplug the thing several times during a cook.
Why do you have to unplug it?

Ryan

Chicken looks killer! Strange you have to unplug it? I cooked on GMG a few weeks ago at a class and we ran it for 12 hrs without unplugging it?

Reactions: Nefarious
Chicken looks killer! Strange you have to unplug it? I cooked on GMG a few weeks ago at a class and we ran it for 12 hrs without unplugging it?
It seems to work fine locally, the problem is running the phone app. I have a mesh network at home, and the phone app just stops updating every time. I think I will work on this tonight.

Reactions: bauchjw
That is the hot start procedure to resink the phone app. Every time I started with the phone app, the probe temps get out of sync with the grill, even the grill temp stops updating. Support tells me this is what to do, haven't tried it yet.
Ok...haven't even tried using the app yet. Guess I should to see if mine works properly.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky