Friday Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caleb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Will be starting this brisket this afternoon. It's just a little flat brisket at around 3.5 lbs. rubbed it with Cajun and steak seasoning last night and topped it off with some brown sugar. Will keep y'all updated when she goes on the MES. Ahhh the beauty of having a home office!

I bet it will be great
lurk.gif

Happy smoken.

David

Unwrapped and ready to go. I love to see the color and the smell of when the rub sits overnight. Slightly obsessed.

Let the smoker hit 250 and loaded her up. I decided to go fat cap down just to see what happens. I have two meat probes so I'm doing a mini experiment to see how what the temps are on the different sides of the meat.

Even Spud is anxious to see how it turns out.

If I'm in no hurry for this thing to get done-is there a reason why I need to foil it? If so what is the best IT to do it at? I was thinking 170.

Last edited:
Now I see why we foil. Patient ally waiting this one out. Been on for 6 hours. Opened it for the first time to put in some potatoes.

And here is my experiential two meat probe temps. Not taking it to 212 that's just the default. I will pull at 180.

Last edited:
Best to judge when a brisket is done with the toothpick test vs internal temp.  When a toothpick slides in and out of the meat in various spots with no resistance its done.  This could be anywhere from 180-200 deg IT.

Finished. Turned out good just a little drier than what I thought it would be. I pulled it at 183. I think because it was a flat brisket that is why.
Before foiling it let it sit for 45 minutes.

Sliced up. Seasoning was great!

I know I am arriving to this game a bit late, but the #1 reason your brisket ended up dry, it did not cook long enough. Pulling it at 183 did not allow the internal connective tissues enough time to break down properly. Properly cooked brisket is not an art, just a test of ones patience. NJfoses was right on with the toothpick test being the best way to tell if one is done, but from personal experience, I have never had a brisket that was cooked right finish less than 200 degrees IT. I take most of mine to 205 +. Brisket should easily be pulled apart with your fingers, you should need no silverware to eat a properly cooked brisket. Iread on here all the time to slice a brisket, you should pul it 185, to pull you should pull it at 205, plain and simple, cook it until you can push a toothpick into the flat section with the tip of your finger, when that happens, it's done. You can slice it or pull it, your choice once it's properly cooked. Jeff

Wow. Thanks for the help. That makes a lot of sense. I will remember that for next time.

If you want to bring your brisket back to life, you can try slicing it up, placing the slices in a pan with the au jus from the brisket cook (if you foiled) or pick up some beef broth, pour it into the pan over the slices, this will give your brisket the moisture your looking for.  Of course, if you have yet to slice the whole thing, just wrap it in foil and cook it some more, but if you have sliced it already try the broth, might help you out. 

If you want to bring your brisket back to life, you can try slicing it up, placing the slices in a pan with the au jus from the brisket cook (if you foiled) or pick up some beef broth, pour it into the pan over the slices, this will give your brisket the moisture your looking for.  Of course, if you have yet to slice the whole thing, just wrap it in foil and cook it some more, but if you have sliced it already try the broth, might help you out. 

Okay thanks again. It's not terribly dry but could use some more moisture. I'm excited to try to do another based off what I learned today.

I completely agree with bruno. Great brisket falls apart as you try and pick it up.

I used to pull my briskets at 180-185 and they always seemed to be too dry for my preference. Over the course of several times and experiments I've mastered the art of cooking great brisket. When I do a brisket I always use an untrimmed cut 13-14lbs, I also inject with a home-made marinade right before I throw it on the smoker. 

Don't get frustrated, keep on trying and experimenting..thats the best part of smoking. 

I completely agree with bruno. Great brisket falls apart as you try and pick it up.

I used to pull my briskets at 180-185 and they always seemed to be too dry for my preference. Over the course of several times and experiments I've mastered the art of cooking great brisket. When I do a brisket I always use an untrimmed cut 13-14lbs, I also inject with a home-made marinade right before I throw it on the smoker. 

Don't get frustrated, keep on trying and experimenting..thats the best part of smoking. 
qthor Welcome to the group. When you get a chance will you drop by roll call and update your info. That way we can all give you a SMF welcome.

Happy smoken.

David

Looks nice....I do foil my briskets...and put juices in for it to basically steam the rest of the way.  Then I take the juice and separate the fat off after its done. The last ones I did....were juicy to the max!

All of us have different tricks and tips.  You just have to find that "one" that works the best for you!

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky