Friday BabyBack Ribs..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

farmerchad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
North Carolina
Been a while since I posted. Life just has a way of getting in the way.

Moving along, I decided a couples days back that I wanted some Baby Back Ribs. Not sure that I have ever smoked them before. I put them in the smoker around 11 AM. About 265 with Apple Wood. Thought I would try smoking them via the temp. method. I found though that like many, my probe thermometer measures all along the probe, not just the tip. I do have a hand held probe (like a thermapen) that will work. Currently the ribs are around 193 -194. My family prefers FOTB, so thats the destination.

Around 4 PM, some Hot Links and Brats will go in the smoker. Nothing finer then a smoked Brat. I could probably eat my weight in those.
biggrin.gif

So the Brats went in the smoker at 4 PM sharp. I tossed in a few more chunks of Apple. I don't recall using Apple previously, I must say it has a really pleasant smell.

The Ribs are still in the smoker. My temps have been all over the place. I had to run an errand earlier and I was away for roughly an hour and 15 minutes. I got back and my Smoker was down to 200 degrees, so I had to crank her back up. All has been running pretty steady. This occured before my first post to clarify on the time. I have just been playing catch up on chores, making sides and misc. around the farm.

I decided to skip the Hot Links. To go with the Ribs and Brats, I decided on Italian Green Beans, Mashed Taters, and Corn Pudding.

Gonna be a feast.
439.gif

I finally pulled the ribs at about 5:30, I wrapped those and the sausages in foil to allow them to rest a bit. Temp. wise, I have no clue. I was getting crazy temps so I decided to use a wooden skewer, tooth pick style. I was getting just the slightest bit of resistance when poking the meat. 

About 30 minutes before pulling I did put a thin coat of sauce on.

The meat rested in the foil for probably 15 minutes before cutting and serving. My wife and daughter were pleased. The ribs weren't quite FOTB, but very easily seperated from the bone. Probably another 30 minutes and they would have been FOTB, if not beyond.

Looks great! Could probably eat my weight in brats as well,the very reason I don't make them!:biggrin:

Looks great! Could probably eat my weight in brats as well,the very reason I don't make them!
biggrin.gif
Yep. My weakness for sure, either Brats or Andouille Sausage. I almost always add some to the smoker along with the main meat. Whether its pork, poultry, or beef, It all goes together so well. But I will say that the sausage didn't really pickup the Apple wood. Not sure why. Usually I use Hickory, and the sausage just soaks it up.

Everything looks delicious!

Great looking meal!

Al
Thank you kind sir. I read your thread, with great interest, on using Temp. to gauge the doneness. Its something I will certainly explore more in the near future. As I stated above, I was getting some erratic temps. My thermo. was claiming that some of the ribs were 210-215 and others 201-205, etc. My handheld thermo is usually spot on, so who knows. At any rate, the thermo combined with the wooden skewer worked out quite well. Matter of fact, the ribs were the best so far.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky