Fresh ham help please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EdP

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I’m getting a fresh ham (frozen:emoji_neutral_face:) from a relative, not sure of the weight yet.

What are the options for smoking? The only thread I found was brining for a few weeks and then on the smoker, seemed like injecting was a good idea too, but there wasn’t a finished product post so it’s possible there were no survivors :emoji_anguished:https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fresh-ham.309408/

I’ve never tried this before so I’m clueless

If your looking to cure it then this is a good read.

I am a dry brine guy, but for a ham I would just go with Pop’s. It is just so much simpler. I would also inject the brine and get as much inside as it will hold, then just cover the ham with brine & let it go a couple of weeks In the fridge. After it is cured, smoke it to an IT of about 140 degrees, and it’s ready to eat!
Al

If you're just starting out, I agree with zwiller zwiller and SmokinAl SmokinAl by starting out with Pop's brine. It's simple, injectable, and very safe. Later, consider using a dry brine curing formula as it gives tastier results. But it's best to build your confidence with a proven safe a delicious method first. I just finished smoking two Pop's brined shoulders and they are fantastic. It also doesn't take weeks. Two weeks is fine and 10 days is my norm. But I know guys who will go a week with great results. Let us know any questions you have, take notes, and take pictures. We love pictures.

Use my method... It makes the best ham several folks have ever tasted..

1666815116603.png

1666815306429.png

1666815561575.png

I’m getting a fresh ham (frozen:emoji_neutral_face:) from a relative, not sure of the weight yet.

What are the options for smoking?
So far you have gotten some good suggestions from daveomak daveomak and SmokinAl SmokinAl . Dave's method is an injection cure (and you can add any leftover liquid to the bag), and Al's suggestion of using Pop's Brine is a combination cure, meaning you will inject some curing brine, then cover the ham with curing brine.

When using an injection on a bone-in ham, make sure to get plenty of the curing brine around the bones first, then evenly space the remaining injections in the fleshy areas. Here is a diagram of a rear leg ham showing the bone structure, and 5 injection points that target the bone areas. All other injection points should be about 1" apart for good coverage.

7ZoB8QR.jpg

Lots of good advice! Good luck with your first one and be sure to let us know how it turns out for you!

Thanks for all the advice, I’ve seen many references to pop’s brine here so it looks like I’ll try that.

This will likely be my last smoke of the season and I hope to end on a high note.

Not sure when I’ll do this but I’ll start a thread when I get it going.

Not to add confusion or anything but at some point you do need to try daveomak daveomak ‘s recipe. It’s seriously very good and he spent a lot of time, trial, and error perfecting it. It requires more planning and more ingredients but it has amazing flavor. I say Pop’s is my default because it only has 4 ingredients I always have on hand. With my last smoke I was laid up at home after knee surgery and I only had the basics. But my next brine & injection will be daveomak daveomak for sure.

I use Dave's injection. Best hams I have ever made. I have made 30 lb hams in two weeks.

Reactions: daveomak
Man you got a lot of good info in this thread. All I can add is while injecting, find the large artery by the bone. Ease your needle into it like an IV and pump the vessels full. They will give you great distribution since, well, that's where the blood flowed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky